Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Second Night of Play

Just had our second night on roll20 and after starting 40 minutes late due to a range technical issues (none of which had anything to do with roll20 itself) it went quite well. Here is the feedback (so far) from tonight: 1. Toolbar Sub-Menus appear under the turn tracker. I realize the TT is a "window" but I tend to have it over on the left right next to the Toolbar. Unfortunately that means every time I want to use a sub-menu I have to move the TT. 2. I had one player report that he saw a token's health bar remain at the same location for the duration of the time on the page. The token was moving around by the bar was stationary, I'm trying to get a screenshot from him and will post it when I get it. 3. Everyone again requested a way to turn off the chat beep when in background 4. FOW hides player token health bars. This is a really minor issue and I realize it could cause more problems than not but just wanted to bring it up. The situation was a 1 square wide hallway with rooms on either side so if I revealed enough for the health bars the players would be seeing parts of the rooms 5. The game's right click menu (on a token) hides behind the video windows. This makes it hard to right click on things that are near the bottom of the map. 6. A temporary drawing tool. Works like the freehand draw but a single click (toolbar or somewhere else) removes everything that was drawn. We'd really like it for things like drawing movement paths or denoting which NPCs in a group have been hit by an area attack. Again, no big problems, the video/voice worked well and everyone is very happy with the system.
Here is the lagging token but I referenced in 2:
OotS tokens! Awesome! Is there a set somewhere of those or did you make them yourself? Thanks for the screenshot. I will look into this. Can you give me more info on the steps you used to set up the token? Was it already present and set up to show players the bar before the game was loaded? Or did you turn on the bar view after this player was already in the game? Did this happen after you had updated the bar value to something else? Or maybe after moving the token between layers? etc...
I pledged on the OOTS kickstarter at a level to get the PDFS of minis intended for cutting out and use as folded paper. I just dumped the images out of the PDFs and used some GIMP scripts to generate Roll20 friendly minis. I'd love to share them but Rich was pretty explicit in the PDF update that they were just for supporters of a certain level. I'm really hoping that when you guys look into things like paid art sets you approach him. I would certainly pay for a large set of OOTS minis. The art style lends itself very well to Roll20 :) As for the token, it was a PC's token (J2) that had been visible with the bar from the start of the night. This is A's view, the token looked correct to everyone else. The token was never moved between layers. The token did get the bar updated when it entered the square where the bar is stuck. It ended up fixing when he had to reload due to his video and audio dropping out (he has a poor internet connection)
Great, thanks for the heads-up. And I will definitely drop Rich a line and see if we can work something out. Also, 1) and 3) will be fixed in the next update. 5) is a little tougher...we use the Flash video in "direct" mode for performance reasons, but that means the Flash video objects are always on top of everything...I can add more "padding" to the bottom of the screen, I suppose....or maybe some logic so the right-click menu won't position itself lower than the video windows will be better. I'll look into it. For 6) in the drawing overhaul my plan right now is to offer a "clear all drawings on this layer" button, so as long as you do all of your "planning" drawing on the tokens layer (which is where the players draw), and then if you did any "permanent" drawings they were on other layers (e.g. sketch out a dungeon on the maps layer, mark trap locations on the GM layer), that should work perfect for what you need.
5) Is also fixed in the next update, the right-click menu should now not position itself in the video zone (or off the screen).
This is hilarious, because just yesterday I was setting up Thunderspire labyrinth, AND was thinking about using those OOTS tokens from the kickstarter! Small world.
For 5 I think just having the right-click menu position so the bottom left corner of the menu was anchored on the mouse instead of the top left when the mouse is too close to the top of the video windows would be a good solution. The "clear all" option for 6 would work. We make little use of the drawing tools but having a way to clear all drawing on the layer would let use it a lot more. While you're doing the overhaul, I'd suggest that the default selected color for the free-form tool and the outline of rects is the player's ping color. That would make tracking who is drawing what much easier.
This is hilarious, because just yesterday I was setting up Thunderspire labyrinth, AND was thinking about using those OOTS tokens from the kickstarter! Small world. Hah, that it is :) I might contact Rich myself and see if he would be ok with me posting a link to the token versions of the minis on that kickstarter page.
While you're doing the overhaul, I'd suggest that the default selected color for the free-form tool and the outline of rects is the player's ping color. That would make tracking who is drawing what much easier. This is the plan, glad to hear that others think it's a good idea, too :-)
This is hilarious, because just yesterday I was setting up Thunderspire labyrinth, AND was thinking about using those OOTS tokens from the kickstarter! Small world. Hah, that it is :) I might contact Rich myself and see if he would be ok with me posting a link to the token versions of the minis on that kickstarter page. I just tried to contact him but all I could use was the forum "contact" form...so not sure what the chances are of that getting to him in a timely manner. It can't hurt to have the question come from multiple places!
I just sent him a note via the OOTS Kickstarter. If he responds I'll try to put him in contact with you.
I just tried to contact him but all I could use was the forum "contact" form...so not sure what the chances are of that getting to him in a timely manner. It can't hurt to have the question come from multiple places! When we asked him if we could use OOTS art for our wedding invites, I just used his GiantITP.com address. It took about a week, but he did get back to us (and said no problem, 'cause he's awesome).