Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Share Campaign Frameworks

Edited 1386322995
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
For some reason I can't fathom, Roll20 doesn't allow you to share campaigns, and content from campaigns with other users. The technology exists to do this, because when you craete a new campaign, there are two sample pre-created modules already provided. I am a prolific creator of campaigns, and like to create macros to support specific systems, character sheets, etc. What I'd like to be able to do is share some of this work with other GMs. I do NOT want to share art assets, or create specific adventure modules. I want to create collections of technical tools (a campaign framework for a specific game, with macros supporting that game, a character sheet for each class/template, handouts for SRD'd rules information, custom card decks for tracking expendable resources like spells, etc. and documentation to get up and running with them), which would allow other GMs to get started playing specific games with a minimum of work. At present, Roll20 does offer creators a way to share campaigns: they can apply to sell their campaigns on the marketplace, but the guidelines are clearly focussed on maps and other art assets: For instance, the guidelines on becomeing a creator ( <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/home/becomecreator" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/home/becomecreator</a> ) include this text: E-mail us (<a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>) with some artwork samples (they don't have to specifically be for the tabletop-- any portfolio items that establish your skill will do) and an idea of what sort of content you would like to provide. If your email does not include art samples, it will be ignored. I think this is too restrictive, and I honestly dont understand why roll20 makes it impossible to share campaigns or some kind of campaign framework.
+1 Specifically, it would be awesome to have a Journal Entry - Character set up for a specific game system, ie: Pathfinder, with all the various attributes and some generic macros (abilities) tied to those. A blank sheet that has to be filled out by the players. For example, the six basic stats and their bonuses, base attack bonus, hit points and armor class and such; then, tied to those, a couple basic attack macros or whatever. Something plug-and-play that can be 'purchased' for a small amount, and then imported to any campaign the owner is using. No artwork, no copyright issues, no nothin'... just a kind of pre-set template. Pricing could depend on complexity, system, creativity, etc. I haven't bought anything off the marketplace. I'd buy this.

Edited 1386323244
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Good idea - being able to import pre-created characters is even better than sharing whole campaigns. I mentioned the marketplace not because I'd want to sell such creations (I'd happily share them for free if I could), but just to point out that roll20 does have the technology to share campaigns already , but is arbitrarily restricting it. I don't understand why they would do that.
Sam
Sheet Author
I think this idea is a great one, and I personally believe that the spirit of it shares the same spirit as posted here "Marketplace Questions Campaigns" . I believe that the community in general is looking to be more helpful and sharing and we feel limited in just what we can do.
Samuel T. said: I think this idea is a great one, and I personally believe that the spirit of it shares the same spirit as posted here "Marketplace Questions Campaigns" . It is exactly the same spirit; I posted there after I posted here and thought about the situation a bit more.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Thanks for linking that thread. I am obviously interested in how that turns out, too.
Since everyone in this thread is also posting in the other thread, I'll just direct you there to get answers to some of these questions. I'm not really sure why you think it's as easy as just "flipping a switch" to let folks share campaigns. Obviously there are major copyright implications that we have to consider. Even for example using images from the Art Search in your campaign goes from "okay for personal use" to "not okay to distribute to others." That's not us, that's the law. And even if you're talking about an "art-less" campaign, there are copyright implications for things like systems-specific rules and calculations. Or setting up Characters from a Pathfinder adventure with the names and stats of those characters, which are copyrighted. If you're interested in creating an "art-less" module that is just a framework for a specific system, just email us at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> and explain to us what you want to do and we'll see if we can make it work. We're not against this idea by any means, but there are simply way too many possible mines to step on in terms of copyright for us to just carte blanche open it up to everyone at this point. There's no way to automate the process of checking to see who is and who isn't sharing campaigns which contain copyrighted art vs. those who have permission to distribute the art. Or character information. Or system rules automation. Etc. etc. Since we can't automate it, that's why you have to go through the Marketplace process.