Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Emotes Font problems

I think I'm missing a font and that's making emotes nearly unreadable to me on screen. On another mac computer that I have, it looks fine, but the one I'm having the problem with is the much preferred to use computer. What is the font used for Emotes? Thanks! Example:
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Fonts on the web are usually called by a class (ex. "sans serif"), then followed by a list of preferred fonts (ex. "helvetica, arial, ..."). Your browser is supposed to pick a default font, if none of the preferred ones are installed on your system. In the above case, it would pick your default sans serif font. It should not be able to have a "missing font". That being said, it might be calling for a named font which is damaged on your computer or browser. Have you tried using a different browser on the computer that is giving you trouble? Just trying to narrow down where the problem is.
Just figured it out. Conflict in Helv Neue Bold Italic font. Removed it. Thanks!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Great! Fonts are a beautiful pain in the neck, to mix a metaphor.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: Fonts on the web are usually called by a class (ex. "sans serif"), then followed by a list of preferred fonts (ex. "helvetica, arial, ..."). This is backwards, actually. An element has a font-family property (which it might inherit from an ancestor element), which is a comma-separated list of font families. From left to right, the browser will use the first font it recognizes. It is considered good practice to use one of the predefined generic font-family names (one of: serif, sans-serif, monospace, cursive, fantasy, or system-ui) as the last  name in the list, because compliant browsers are guaranteed to have something matching each of the generic names.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Derp. You're right of course. It was a case of knowing what I meant, but totally screwing up communicating it. Thanks.