Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Storing new spells

So. I am new to roll20 but I think I am getting a hang of the most basic things. For now I am setting up our ongoing campaign of Princes of the Apocalypse for 5e. I am in the process of making npc's and monsters that are not in the MM or the 5e SRD and it got me thinking about a few things that I would like to know before I go ahead and do some very time consuming prepping and realise that I should have done everything in some other way that would save me massive amounts of time. My basic idea is to, in one way or another, get all of the content from the online supplement released by Wizards for Princes of the Apocalypse ( <a href="http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PrincesApocalypse_AdvSupplementv1.0_PrinterFriendly.pdf" rel="nofollow">http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/PrincesApocalypse_AdvSupplementv1.0_PrinterFriendly.pdf</a> ). This would mean building a set of monsters and NPCs that are not in the MM or the 5e SRD, as well as adding items.&nbsp; Is there a way to 'store' spells for reuse, like the ones in the compendium? I really like the 5e SRD NPC sheets and adding spells to them is a breeze, however, I would rather not want to add a given spell that is not in the SRD every time I make an NPC with that spell. Am I thinking about this wrong, or how do you handled this? PotA contains a lot of new spells, and it would be great to be able to "add" them to my game somehow. Suppose I go ahead and create all the NPCs and the monsters from the supplement, is there an easy way to share this between roll20 campaigns. Both for my own personal use of course, but I am also wandering if it is possible to share with other users. Or is this already done and all I have to do is to download something? Or would this break some sort of copywrite even though the online supplement has been released and is free of charge? Birkovic

Edited 1495404912
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Hi Birkovic, Welcome to Roll20. I've got some answers for you below: 1. There is not a way to do this unfortunately. There are some options using API scripts (whether it currently exists for your game would depend on which 5e sheet you are using) (this is a Pro subscription perk). 2. The answer to this gets a little more complicated. WotC only released a very specific subset of 5e content under the Open Gaming License. I don't actually know where the PotA supplement falls in this, but I don't believe it is OGL (even though it is free). Only OGL content can be added to the compendium (unless Roll20 has negotiated a license for that content like they did for Volo's). That said, with a free account, it is possible(ish) to share characters between games (your own, or others that you are a player in) via the character vault. As a free user, you can store any character you want in your vault, but you will need to be using a game with the full vault enabled to import that character back in to a game. Games that have the full vault enabled are those whose creator is a current plus or higher subscriber, or those created from most of the modules available on the marketplace (It will be listed in the features of that module on its store page). I hope that has helped, and happy rolling, Scott
Hi I might have some different response to your first questions than Scott C 1) &nbsp;I would say it is possible to save spells as abilities and use them that way. &nbsp;I have made for myself a character journal that I have saved over 100 spells by making them abilities and using the default template. &nbsp;For my 5e game I set up NPC's without using the sheet so I can vault them into my games and players can decide if they want shaped character sheet or ogl. &nbsp;My monsters/npc's are not really effected by sheet updates. &nbsp;Here is example of a spell from elemental evil set up as an ability /desc &{template:default} {{name=@{jb_name} casts Absorb Elements Spell}} {{School=1st-level abjuration}} {{Casting Time=reaction, when take acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder damage}} {{Range=Self}} {{Components=S}} {{Duration=1 round}} {{Slot Level=[[?{Level|1}]]}} {{extra damage for melee attack next turn=[[?{Level|1}d6]] by type}} {{Critical Damage2=[[?{Level|1}d6]]}} {{Effect=gain resistance to that type of damage}} here is popular spell from Sword Coast book that I created: /desc &{template:default} {{name=@{jb_name} casts Green Flame Spell uses Scimitar}} {{School=Evocation Cantrip}} {{Casting Time=action}} {{Range=5 ft}} {{Components=VM}} {{Duration=Instant}} {{Target=1 creature}} {{Attack=[[?{Attack Type|Standard, 1d20|Advantage, 2d20kh1|Disadvantage, 2d20kl1}+@{jb_fin_mod} +@{jb_pb}+[[?{BonusAttack|0}]] ]]}} {{Scimitar Damage=[[1d6+@{jb_fin_mod} +[[?{BonusDamageScimitar|0}]] ]] slashing}} {{Fire Damage=[[([[(@{jb_level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5]]-1)d8+[[?{BonusDamageFire|0}]] ]] fire}} {{Second target Damage=[[([[(@{jb_level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5]]-1)d8+@{jb_spell_mod} ]] Fire}} {{Critical Scimitar Damage=[[1d6]]}} {{Critical Fire Damage=[[([[(@{jb_level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5]]-1)d8]] Fire}} {{Critical Second Target Damage=[[([[(@{jb_level} + 1) / 6 + 0.5]]-1)d8]] }} So I can set up NPC spellcaster by copying and pasting the spells into abilities on a character journal.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Ah, good option jbok. That is an excellent way to go about it. I should have been clearer in my post that I was talking about importing the spell/ability to the character sheet itself.
Hi again guys. Thank you for your replies and information. I'll look into those macros and see what I can do. Also. It's a shame about that limitation to the rule set. Hopefully roll20 can work something out with wizards. I would gladly rebuy my core books for the benefit of having everything integrated in the roll20 system. that being said they should think of new ways to market the game. Like buy a physical copy of the book and get a coupon for the roll20 version etc.&nbsp;