Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

LFG: "That new system from the folks by the sea" Playtest?

"That new system from the folks by the sea" playtest starts today. I'll be getting the details later, but I'd like to join a group as a player - already doing too much stuff as it is to GM another campaign myself. Prefer EST weekdays (not Thursday; 8 to 11 would be most ideal).
For some ridiculously bizarre reason, the D&D Next FAQ says you can't play test through a VTT: <a href="http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2245/kw/next" rel="nofollow">http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2245/kw/next</a>
Given that I am physically and audibly unable to play a physical game, does anyone want a virtual player for, you know, a test session of any new rule systems that might be forthcoming? ;)
For some ridiculously bizarre reason, the D&D Next FAQ says you can't play test through a VTT: <a href="http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2245/kw/next" rel="nofollow">http://wizards.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2245/kw/next</a> I moved this thread to the Suggestions & Ideas forum so that only beta testers can see it. Let's just not refer to it directly be name and I think we'll be fine :-)
Also, interestingly enough, it says you can't play it through *their* "Virtual Tabletop" (when they use the caps like that they're referring to their D&D VTT for Insiders). But it also says not to play it on 3rd party sites like play by post. So who knows.
Lame people being lame. LAME! So excited to test... that thing from the sea people. I'm doing a physical game next weekend I think to try it out. Stoked.
Nolan: I'd love to hear your group's comments on it. Looking over the playtest material, I'm... pleasantly surprised how less rule-y it appears to be. Anxious to see how it works out in practice.
Sounds like my group pushed back until June 9th. SUCH A LONG WAIT. heh Less ruley... hrm. I'm really curious, but I'm going to stay away from reading much about it all so that I can go in with an open mind on the 9th to play.
I'd love to attempt to play the playtest using Roll20. We should set something up!
Ezra
KS Backer
I'm interested as well. So far reading through the playtest materials it seems like they are going too retro for my taste, but I'd like to try it out for sure!
Did somebody say retro d&d? :D We want thac0! We want thac0! Bring back flumphs! Bring back flumphs!
Nolan! Spoilers! Don't read this! Heh, there's no THAC0. It's very much d20, but they've removed a lot of complexity. Some quick summaries: no more Fortitude, Willpower and Reflex saves (instead, there's a saving throw for each ability), no more endless modifiers to a d20 roll (instead, you can be advantaged or disadvantaged: roll 2d20 and choose the highest or lowest result), no more Skills (they're in there, but they aren't actually named as Skills, just as Common Tasks). Vancian magic is back. Fighters are "boring" again (i.e., there are no named powers for them - it's back to the player describing the awesomeness he'd like to do, instead of a game mechanic). Minions are gone (at least, based on the included adventure).
I would also love to play "The Next System" with my friends, using Roll20, and I already started preparing the online playtest game here, but then I read their FAQ. Should I delete it? Riley or Nolan, it's up to you.
Btw Morbus Iff: I believe this is a bare-bones excerpt from the complete rules (given so we can test the basic stuff first) so I wouldn't claim that there won't be a skill list or that fighters will be plain again.
I would also love to play "The Next System" with my friends, using Roll20, and I already started preparing the online playtest game here, but then I read their FAQ. Should I delete it? Riley or Nolan, it's up to you. We don't monitor what you do in your campaigns (so I have not looked to see if you are indeed breaking any of their rules or not), and we would only take down a campaign if forced to due to legal threats/action. So as far as we're concerned, what you do/materials you use in your campaign is between you and your players as long as you're not doing something foolish like live streaming it publicly (obviously it's great to live stream, just don't break rules or use pirated materials when you do...)
Btw Morbus Iff: I believe this is a bare-bones excerpt from the complete rules (given so we can test the basic stuff first) so I wouldn't claim that there won't be a skill list or that fighters will be plain again.
Take a look at <a href="http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20120528" rel="nofollow">http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ll/20120528</a>. With lines like "[Ability scores] are now the heart of the resolution system in the game. Skills are merely situational modifiers, with specific tools or training called out if they are required to attempt a check." and "These rules are another example of our attempt to focus on abilities rather than skills.", it certainly sounds like they're trying to get rid of that named mechanic. As for the fighter, they mention "We're looking to introduce combat maneuvers by using themes, so you can expect to see those in the near future." in the same article.
I saw somewhere (Think it was a livechat) Where they mentioned combat "packages" coming as a feat, so if your fighter or Rogue took a specific feat, it may come with an associated suite of different moves (They were skimpy on details, but did say that the feat would't be a single move, more likely a few related attacks/manouvers) What I envision from that would be something like ( And these are all made up, so don't quote me on it ) "Dirty Fighting Feat" which would give you a "Throw Sand" attack, a "Low Blow" and "Distracting Strike"