Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Macros: 5e OGL to Shaped Sheet convertion help needed

Hi everyone! I was suggested in another thread to ask you guys for help in converting a bunch of macros from 5e OGL to Shaped Sheet. Was following the YouTuber Taking20's guide to making a 5e Monster Manual with associated Token Macros, so I don't need to find attacks, traits, etc on the sheet to use them, but can just click on a macro button at the top of my screen. The issue I'm having is that the guide is for 5e OGL and I want to use Shaped Sheet. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to making macros, and really can't seem to comprehend how it's done, which is why I'm after simple copy/paste macros I can use to create Token Macros for my monsters. If anyone have the time to convert the following macros from 5e OGL to Shaped Sheet versions, I would be incredibly grateful: 1) Attack %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action} 2) Trait /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=@{selected|repeating_npctrait_$0_name}}}  {{description=@{selected|repeating_npctrait_$0_desc}}} 3) Reaction /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=@{selected|repeating_npcreaction_$0_name}}} {{description=@{selected|repeating_npcreaction_$0_desc} }} 4) Initiative %{selected|npc_init} 5) Saves /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Saving Throws}} {{Str Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_str_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_str_mod}]]}} {{Dex Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_dex_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_dex_mod}]]}} {{Con Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_con_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_con_mod}]]}} {{Int Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_int_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_int_mod}]]}} {{Wis Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_wis_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_wis_mod}]]}} {{Cha Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_cha_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_cha_mod}]]}} 6) DR/Immunities /w gm &{template:default} {{name=DR/Immunities}} {{Damage Resistance= @{selected|npc_resistances}}} {{Damage Vulnerability= @{selected|npc_vulnerabilities}}} {{Damage Immunity= @{selected|npc_immunities}}} {{Condition Immunity= @{selected|npc_condition_immunities}}} 7) Perception /w gm %{Selected|npc_perception} /w gm @{selected|wtype}&{template:npc} {{normal=1}} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=Passive Perception}} {{mod=}} {{r1=[[@{selected|npc_passiveperceptionbase}]]}} 8) Stealth @{selected|wtype}&{template:npc} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=^{stealth}}} {{mod=@{selected|npc_stealth}}} {{r1=[[1d20+@{selected|npc_stealth}]]}} @{selected|rtype}+@{selected|npc_stealth}]]}} 9) Stats /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Stats}} {{Armor Class= @{selected|npc_AC} @{selected|npcd_actype}}} {{Hit Dice= @{selected|npc_hpformula} | [[@{selected|npc_hpformula}]]}} {{Speed= @{selected|npc_speed}}} {{Senses=@{selected|npc_senses}}} 10) Spells %{selected|repeating_spell-npc_$0_spell} 11) Legendary Action Description @{selected|wtype}&{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=Legendary Actions}} {{description=The @{selected|npc_name} can take @{selected|npc_legendary_actions} legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The @{selected|npc_name} regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.}} @{selected|charname_output} 12) Legendary Action %{selected|repeating_npcaction-l_$0_npc_action}
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kasper N. said: 1) Attack %{selected|repeating_npcaction_$0_npc_action} %{selected|repeating_action_$0_action} Kasper N. said: 2) Trait /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=@{selected|repeating_npctrait_$0_name}}} {{description=@{selected|repeating_npctrait_$0_desc}}} %{selected|repeating_trait_$0_trait} Kasper N. said: 3) Reaction /w gm &{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=@{selected|repeating_npcreaction_$0_name}}} {{description=@{selected|repeating_npcreaction_$0_desc} }} %{selected|repeating_reaction_$0_action} Kasper N. said: 4) Initiative %{selected|npc_init} %{selected|shaped_initiative} Kasper N. said: 5) Saves /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Saving Throws}} {{Str Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_str_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_str_mod}]]}} {{Dex Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_dex_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_dex_mod}]]}} {{Con Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_con_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_con_mod}]]}} {{Int Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_int_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_int_mod}]]}} {{Wis Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_wis_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_wis_mod}]]}} {{Cha Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_cha_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_cha_mod}]]}} %{selected|shaped_saving_throw} Kasper N. said: 6) DR/Immunities /w gm &{template:default} {{name=DR/Immunities}} {{Damage Resistance= @{selected|npc_resistances}}} {{Damage Vulnerability= @{selected|npc_vulnerabilities}}} {{Damage Immunity= @{selected|npc_immunities}}} {{Condition Immunity= @{selected|npc_condition_immunities}}} %{selected|shaped_damage_vulnerabilities} %{selected|shaped_damage_resistances} %{selected|shaped_damage_immunities} %{selected|shaped_condition_immunities} Kasper N. said: 7) Perception /w gm %{Selected|npc_perception} /w gm @{selected|wtype}&{template:npc} {{normal=1}} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=Passive Perception}} {{mod=}} {{r1=[[@{selected|npc_passiveperceptionbase}]]} Assuming you haven't adjusted the skills: %{selected|repeating_skill_$11_skill} Kasper N. said: 8) Stealth @{selected|wtype}&{template:npc} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=^{stealth}}} {{mod=@{selected|npc_stealth}}} {{r1=[[1d20+@{selected|npc_stealth}]]}} @{selected|rtype}+@{selected|npc_stealth}]]}} Assuming you haven't adjusted the skills: %{selected|repeating_skill_$16_skill} Kasper N. said: 9) Stats /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Stats}} {{Armor Class= @{selected|npc_AC} @{selected|npcd_actype}}} {{Hit Dice= @{selected|npc_hpformula} | [[@{selected|npc_hpformula}]]}} {{Speed= @{selected|npc_speed}}} {{Senses=@{selected|npc_senses}}} %{selected|shaped_statblock} Kasper N. said: 10) Spells %{selected|repeating_spell-npc_$0_spell} %{selected|shaped_spells} %{selected|repeating_spell0_$0_spell} %{selected|repeating_spell1_$0_spell} %{selected|repeating_spell2_$0_spell} %{selected|repeating_spell3_$0_spell} ... Kasper N. said: 11) Legendary Action Description @{selected|wtype}&{template:npcaction} {{name=@{selected|npc_name}}} {{rname=Legendary Actions}} {{description=The @{selected|npc_name} can take @{selected|npc_legendary_actions} legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The @{selected|npc_name} regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.}} @{selected|charname_output} No such macro on Shaped as the text is the same on every creature. Just the amount of actions may be different (I think all or most monsters have 3) Kasper N. said: 12) Legendary Action %{selected|repeating_npcaction-l_$0_npc_action} %{selected|repeating_legendaryaction_$0_action} Lair: %{selected|repeating_lairaction_$0_action}
Thanks Kryx you are awesome! I will try making a template out of these and see how it works out.

Edited 1495971676
Kasper N. said: 5) Saves /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Saving Throws}} {{Str Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_str_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_str_mod}]]}} {{Dex Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_dex_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_dex_mod}]]}} {{Con Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_con_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_con_mod}]]}} {{Int Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_int_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_int_mod}]]}} {{Wis Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_wis_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_wis_mod}]]}} {{Cha Save= [[1d20+@{npcd_cha_mod}]] | [[1d20+@{npcd_cha_mod}]]}} %{selected|shaped_saving_throw} These two are not the same, as what I get with Shaped is the ability to click a Save, and then it shows up in chat. What I'm after is a macro that rolls all saves and whispers them to me. Other than that, this works perfectly! Really appreciate you taking the time.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
use  /talktomyself and roll the save desired from that macro.

Edited 1495973048
Kryx said: use  /talktomyself and roll the save desired from that macro. Found a way to do it!
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'd recommend rolling the save that is appropriate due to things like advantage. You could make the same argument for ability checks (for all abilities and skills), for actions, for traits, etc. One of the goals of Shaped is to roll what is appropriate to roll and not include extra cruft. You're free to do things differently, but it's not something I'd encourage.

Edited 1495974482
I just made it /w gm the individual save for all 6. The reason I want it that way, is to make combat go faster and smoother. The amount of space it takes up by rolling all 6 at once, is about the same as using the saves macro and then click the right save, so it's all good. Thanks a lot for the help Kryx This is how it's set up currently: Is there a way to make it so it doesn't add the (To GM): line for each save after Strength. Sort of like the image below, but as a whisper:
Only have 2 more questions: 1) Is there a macro command to show the Passive Perception, so when I click my Perception button, it rolls for Perception and shows the Passive Perception score? 2) When I hit the Stats macro button it shows all the info, but on the 5e OGL version it allowed me to quickly hit the HP part so I could quickly roll for custom HP. Is there a way to do that with Shaped Sheet too?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
1. You can output passive perception via %{selected|perception_passive}. At a later version this changes to %{selected|passive_perception}. Passive is used when not rolling so it is not included with the roll. 2. You can roll hp via %{selected|shaped_npc_hp}

Edited 1495975563
Kryx said: 1. You can output passive perception via %{selected|perception_passive}. At a later version this changes to %{selected|passive_perception}. Passive is used when not rolling so it is not included with the roll. 2. You can roll hp via %{selected|shaped_npc_hp} Got the HP to work no problem, but it can't find the passive perception on a monster, even though I've checked on the Passive Skills under the cog. I might have a workaround, though I'm not sure how to make it. What I'm planning is to make take the value 10 and add it's Perception modifier, though I don't know if that's possible. %{selected|10+repeating_skill_$10_skill} doesn't work, so I have no clue how to do it. Oh and I've edited my above post with my Saves results, though it's not completely what I'm looking for. Is there some kinds of brackets or parenthesis I can encase the rolls in, so it whispers all 6 rolls at the same time, and not separate whispers for each roll?
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
The repeating version of the value is easier for some people. Use that: %{selected|repeating_skill_$10_passive} or @{selected|repeating_skill_$10_passive} Whispering to a gm will always add that line. You can try /talktomyself
Ok cool thanks Kryx! It won't recognize /talktomyself as a command when used in a macro, so will probably have to settle for it makes individual whispers for each roll, unless it's possible to make it something like this: But I wouldn't have a clue on where to start to be honest, as it's a bit more advanced than what I'm capable of comprehending. Appreciate you taking the time to help out!
Hmmm this is a bit hard to make work for a macro-retard like me. The code below rolls in a nice box like the image above, without coming up with any errors, but it doesn't seem to add the Saving Throw modifier to the roll. What is wrong with this code? What do I need to correct to make it add the Saving Throw modifier? /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Saving Throws}} {{Str Save= [[1d20+${selected|shaped_strength_saving_throw}]] | [[1d20+${selected|shaped_strength_saving_throw}]]}} {{Dex Save= [[1d20+${selected|shaped_dexterity_saving_throw}]] | [[1d20+${selected|shaped_dexterity_saving_throw}]]}} {{Con Save= [[1d20+${selected|shaped_constitution_saving_throw}]] | [[1d20+${selected|shaped_constitution_saving_throw}]]}} {{Int Save= [[1d20+${selected|shaped_intelligence_saving_throw}]] | [[1d20+${selected|shaped_intelligence_saving_throw}]]}} {{Wis Save= [[1d20+${selected|shaped_wisdom_saving_throw}]] | [[1d20+${selected|shaped_wisdom_saving_throw}]]}} {{Cha Save= [[1d20+${selected|shaped_charisma_saving_throw}]] | [[1d20+${selected|shaped_charisma_saving_throw}]]}}
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Replace all instances of $ with @ :)

Edited 1495981934
Ziechael said: Replace all instances of $ with @ :) It just comes up with the following and then proceeds to roll d20s without adding modifiers Just to clarify; it comes up twice for each save, and then I get the box with rolled d20s
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Check the attributes and abilities tab to get the name of the field, something like 'charisma_saving_throw_mod_with_sign' i believe
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Kasper N. said: shaped_strength_saving_throw The names of saving throw Attributes are of the form ability _saving_throw_mod , not shaped_ ability _saving_throw. (The names of saving throw macros are of the form shaped_ ability _saving_throw_mod.)
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Saving throws include more than just mods. Trying to construct it yourself while using features of the sheet will be difficult and unreliable. This is one of the reasons I don't suggest doing so.
Ok thanks everyone. Will use the global token macro for saves then. One last question before I'm off: Is it on purpose that when drag'n'dropping creatures from the compendium onto the sheet, the spells only contain the name, action, duration and components? Right now I have to drag each spell onto the sheet for it to update with damage, content, etc.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kasper N. said: Is it on purpose that when drag'n'dropping creatures from the compendium onto the sheet, the spells only contain the name, action, duration and components? Right now I have to drag each spell onto the sheet for it to update with damage, content, etc. This is a limitation of roll20 as the sheet has no access to the SRD content. The script (if you're a Pro user) will auto populate these for you. Without that you have to do it manually. The same is true for OGL.
Ok no problem! Thanks for the quick answer, and thanks to you all for the help! Learned a lot and have now a workable template ready to drag'n'drop creatures onto.
Kryx
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Kasper N. said: have now a workable template ready to drag'n'drop creatures onto. Hmm, if I understood that was your goal in the first place I would've pointed you to the setting page of the sheet (the cog wheel). It has buttons for many of these macros there for you.

Edited 1495989611
Well I ended up with a nice template, so I can quickly make monsters on the fly, with the most used actions in nice visible macros. Now I can duplicate my Monster Template and drag a monster from the Compendium onto it, and I only need to make minor adjustments, depending on what actions it has available. So it goes from this: To this: Now I can just add in creatures from my Monster Manual to my game and start using it with no hassle, and will almost never have to have the sheet opened to do anything, which is a nice thing for me as I only have 1 monitor and switching between pages/tabs takes a lot of time in the long run.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Have you not tried the built-in statblock, actions and spells chat-based macros? I have a macro that invoke all three with one button as a global token macro. No work, no fuss. And a heck of a lot fewer buttons covering my map.
keithcurtis said: Have you not tried the built-in statblock, actions and spells chat-based macros? I have a macro that invoke all three with one button as a global token macro. No work, no fuss. And a heck of a lot fewer buttons covering my map. I'm a complete noob and macro-retard, so I haven't the slightest idea what you mean. Where are they? Where do I put them? Is there anything else I need to do to make them work? Is it as fast to use as my current setup, or is it just a bunch of queries or stuff that takes up a lot of "Chat-window real-estate" so I have to scroll a lot? Do I need to be subscribed as Plus/Pro to make use of them? I've actively used Roll20 for less than 1½ month, and have never been in the seat as DM. I'm after something that's simple, fast to use and doesn't take up a lot of space in chat. I've read some of the tutorials, watched a few videos, but I still can't comprehend or use even a quarter of what I've read/seen, so I basically need a visual guide or something I can copy and instructions on where to put it. I completely understand if that's not something you're willing to spend your time on, and I'm happy with my current setup, but if you have the time for it and it's more accessible than what I currently have, I would be grateful for the assistance.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
These three (and many more) macros are built into the sheet. I trigger all three of them with a single macro, but they can be run separately. Everything you see in pink in the chat window is clickable. %{selected|shaped_statblock} %{selected|shaped_offense} %{selected|shaped_spells} To try one, select a token, and paste the macro into your chat window. I think you'll like the results. Another advantage of them is that being built into the sheet, they won't be broken by future updates. Take a look at the documentation, but vertually every actionable section of the sheet (traits, feats, saving throws, etc.) has an associated macro. It's an amazing sheet.
Hey Keith, when I did this it said there was no "offense" ability.  Should that say something else?

Edited 1496037926
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Omegaman said: Hey Keith, when I did this it said there was no "offense" ability.  Should that say something else? It's "offense" for the Github 14.x version of the sheet, "attacks" for the live version. These are amazing, they do take up a lot of space in chat though.
Ok thanks for the replies guys. I think I'm going to stick with my current setup, as the global token macro thingies takes up too much space in chat for my liking, but they are easy to use.