Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Special effects unusably slow

I'd like to use special effects but they are unusably slow.  When I do one on the GM browser, while it shows nice and smooth for me, it animates at 2 fps on the player browser and sometimes doesn't play at all there! Even if both browsers are on the same computer. I have gigabit internet but I am in New Zealand.  Is each animation frame synced via your US server (so we have 2x the latency of communicating around the world per frame)?  Surely the animation, once started, could run locally?

Edited 1496251411
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
It would be completely baffling to me if a particle system were synchronized over the wire. There's absolutely no reason to do that, and it's unlikely to be very performant even if you were plugged directly into the server that was being synced to. As a test, how well does&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/fxplayground/" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/fxplayground/</a> work for you?
The playground works great - very smooth. The fx work great on Roll20 too though -- for me as DM on my screen! &nbsp; The problem is it plays at 2fps on the player's browser (only 2 connections, me – DM and one player screen projected onto a table). I do a 1-second long effect on my screen (looks great) and then watch it take about 20 seconds (didn't measure it exactly) to play out, one frame at a time on the other screen. &nbsp;The player login can't draw do their own fx as I use a free a/c for them – I use it as display-only. Most of the fx are defined as soon as they start so should just play the same locally on the player view as they do on the DM screen… A few fx like 'bubbling' follow the drawer's mouse around as they animate, so there would need to be a sync / mouse-event stream going on for those ones which led me to imagine the round-trip-latency-time might be the cause of the slow frame rate... I am about 11000km from San Francisco.&nbsp;I don't know how roll20 is set up though. I just tested pinging app.roll20.net and I'm getting 15-19ms latency - that has to be coming from a nearby CDN. &nbsp;In any case, the latency should only cause a slight delay to start the animation, not between every frame!