Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

.jpeg file extension not recognized.

Edited 1496535267
Hello, Not sure if this is a bug or a design decision, but after spending an hour or two figuring it out, I thought I would share. I have been using GIMP to edit images (maps) and resize them for the web. When exporting from GIMP it offers three different extensions for JPEG images (*.jpg, *.jpeg, *.jpe). I accidentally had GIMP saving files with the *.jpeg file extension. Every time I uploaded the files to Roll20 I got the "broken image" icon, and the files didn't work. I tried resizing the files thinking it was a file size issue to no avail. Luckily I had a few earlier generations of these maps that worked. Then I discovered the working files had the *.jpg extension. I tried exporting the non-working files with the *.jpg extension and they work. Just to be sure, I also tried exporting the working file with the *.jpeg extension and they did not work. ...If it can be fixed great, if it can't this might warrant a mention in the wiki under the "Creating Marketplace Assets" or "Image Best Practices For Roll20" Best Regards, Brian

Edited 1496530413
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
It is listed in the wiki page " Images best practice for roll20: File types ".
Thank you for your time. My specific issue was that at least one (i didn't test *.jpe) of the file extensions for that type of file are not supported.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Ah. Jpeg and jpe are known not to work and was not included in the wiki for that reason. Gifs work somewhat (only the first frame) but are not supported. We are sorry we were not clearer in the wiki about that.
No problem. Thanks for the clarification.