Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Fog of war does not follow the map when scrolling.

Hi there. One thing noticed tonight was that the fog of war did not follow the players maps if they scrolled or used the hand tool move the map quickly. This made it possible to look behind the fog and catch a glimpse of the DMs dirty secrets for a brief second or so. Dont know if this is new or not. But I cant remember seeing it before.
I noticed this when I tried connecting to my campaign using a netbook, but I just chalked it up to the atom processor and onboard video being horribly overwhelmed by the 1080p monitor I connected to it ;) When scrolling, the fog would stay stationary for a count of about a second or two, and then jump to reposition itself properly. The delay was varied, and would go anywhere from a fraction of a second, to a full second+ where it was possible to actually comprehend what you were seeing before the fog caught up.
We'll check it out.
Are both of you experiencing this issue on maps larger than 40x40? Or smaller map sizes as well?
The only map I tried it on is 56x80 I'll try to borrow another netbook so I can test it with a smaller map.
Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My map is 60x40. It is like the fog of war stays in place when moving the map for a fraction of a second and then it is being redrawn.
My map is 60x40. It is like the fog of war stays in place when moving the map for a fraction of a second and then it is being redrawn. Yeah, this is what's happening. For "large" maps (bigger than 40x40, which is really 2800x2800 pixels) we had to turn on this new way of rendering because people's computers were crashing when trying to render that large of a canvas. So basically as you scroll the fog of war layer is being redrawn. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this that balances "scrolling staying smooth" with "not revealing info". I'll keep tinkering.
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
Would it be feasible to have it change the FoW drawing method based on the size of the map? My first thought was that when a page is changed, and it loads the information for the page, it could also toggle which FoW method it is. Lately I've taken to making smaller maps, shrinking my images down to match the map size, then scaling my grid down... it creates fewer "inches" of space, and we all just play at a higher zoom. It's worked really well for me so far, and doesn't aggravate the old FoW not-drawing bug.
That's not a bad idea @Deightine. I quite often find myself pulling out to a 80 or 60% zoom anyway, so why not cut the map sizes in half, and then set a half inch grid. I know this doesn't fix the problem, but it might fix the user in my case ;)
This is what it already does. If the map size is less than 40x40 inches, it uses the old drawing method. If it's larger, it uses the newer drawing method. So if you want to be sure to get the old drawing method, use a map 40x40 or smaller.
Deightine
KS Backer
Sheet Author
Hmm, might not be a bad idea to put that as a pop-up note when someone puts their cursor inside a map size textbox, then. That way people are more likely to favor smaller maps through behavior modification, rather than hoping you can accommodate their urge for bigger-is-better. Turns the 'fix' for the 'issue' into a 'feature for people who want bigger maps.' >.>
Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My map is 60x40. It is like the fog of war stays in place when moving the map for a fraction of a second and then it is being redrawn. Yeah, this is what's happening. For "large" maps (bigger than 40x40, which is really 2800x2800 pixels) we had to turn on this new way of rendering because people's computers were crashing when trying to render that large of a canvas. So basically as you scroll the fog of war layer is being redrawn. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to do this that balances "scrolling staying smooth" with "not revealing info". I'll keep tinkering. I told my players: "Close your eyes when you are scrolling." I think that will fix the bug. ;) For me it is just a minor problem.
I dont doubt the honesty of my players. But its hard to scroll with your eyes closed. ;) A problem here is that I myself love huge maps and to explore them. So yes, I would love to see it fixed in some fashion. Until then I just stay with the 40x40 ( even if it pains me. :) )
Abd al Rahman
KS Backer
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I dont doubt the honesty of my players. I do that all the time. They are like me after all :-p No, seriously: I will stick to smaller maps as well and split large maps up into more then one. It is a workaround and will cause more work on my side (I usual scan existing maps and load it into Roll20), but it will work.