Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Old Topic] Expanded Chat System

Score + 218

Edited 1412633694
See here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1195141/expandin" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/1195141/expandin</a>... Credit for the initial concept goes to the author, of course. Loved this idea when I came across it. In some cases I'll split parties and in rare others I'll have them formulate devious plans against one another. Different chat tabs would smooth this out no end. Sooo here's my +1 I suppose.
Hoob
Marketplace Creator
As the guy who made the original thread, I definitely support this. It's my most wanted feature out of Roll20.
I strongly agree with fact that it is one of the most wanted feature I'd like to see in Roll20.
This would be useful although I would also like to add a pop out feature so you can move the chat window(s)
An additional use for this is characters speaking in another language (have tabs for Elven, Dwarven, etc). +1
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Michael said: An additional use for this is characters speaking in another language (have tabs for Elven, Dwarven, etc). +1 There is a workaround for this. You make a sheet named for the language and assigned every pc in the game that can speak it. Everyone then can whisper to it and only those assigned to that sheet will see it.
This is a excellent idea for so many reasons. So take my +1, just take it!
I love this, and I support moving the chat window or making it movable...so helpful it would be to not have it hidden behind all the stuff I use as a gm.
Alicia
Sheet Author
As a dedicated Text roleplayer coming from the VTT OpenRPG this is one of my most missed features. I usually end up using hangouts or skype to conduct private chats considering how clunky the whisper program is and with the inability to whisper multiple people without the use of handouts.
I'm +1 for TIME STAMPS. Please add time stamps. Please let them go to the second . Don't just add the hour and minute, or at least let us set it.
I support this idea in full. My campaign and substituent campaigns would benefit greatly from a feature similar to this. I have heard on many other posts that this kind of improvement would be impossible due to the code, but I urge Roll20 to reconsider. In large campaigns, this feature would allow for multiple scenes at once on the campaign and reduce clutter. For campaigns that do not use video-chat, it would improve things immensely for me and many of my fellow GMs. This is by far the only feature that Roll20 lacks. Everything else is perfect for my needs. Please consider this idea, because whispering to groups of people using macros doesn't make it easy for me to do what I want to.

Edited 1414801547
I saw someone mention time stamps. Maybe make those a tooltip to conserve space? As in, hover over a message to see timestamp and/or other details that we wouldn't want cluttering up the pretty-small chat pane. That'd be kinda nice. Edit: It would probably be best as a fast hover though. Seems like the sort of thing you'd want to quickly check, so I'd suggest having it come up after only a fraction of a second of hovering over a message, or even come up immediately.
[Second comment because different subject] The old thread had a mockup for a settings box per tab where you could assign players to the chat. It'd be nice to also have a "Public" or "Open to all players" checkbox, since it's easy to accidentally forget people here and there when running or setting up a game, and since many uses, like out of character chats, would be nice to have tabs available to every player.
I'd love to see this, as long as it came with a pop out option. I don't think I could handle a larger chat screen. It's hard enough dealing with the lost screen real estate from the current setup :P.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Joe Y. said: I'd love to see this, as long as it came with a pop out option. I don't think I could handle a larger chat screen. It's hard enough dealing with the lost screen real estate from the current setup :P. Have you had a chance to play with the popout chat and character sheets on the Dev server yet?
As a text role player, I'd love to see the option to have multiple chat channels, it would be nice to be able to separate the OOC from IC
You've got my +1! There are many situations where one or more players would hear or see something the others don't. Being able to put them in a different voice chat room would be a huge boost to the role playing in my games. Imagine two players who have been separated a while from their group suddenly re-joining them and having no idea, as a player or a character, what the party did while they were gone. They would have to roleplay just to catch each other up or they could decide to leave out crucial details to their benefit. It really helps to foster roleplaying.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Being a primary text chat gamer, this suggestion would hit the nail on the head and give players and gm's more options for their games.
This suggestion definitely gets my +1! We have the ability to assign players to separate maps, it just follows naturally to provide a separate chat for each.
As an aside, after typing aloud what I had intended to whisper to one player I made macros for each player. I'm sure you all know how to do that but just in case: /w PLAYERNAME ?{Prompt|0} brings up a box that you can type in and it will send to that player. I send messages all the time to our Witch from her familiar. The players can of course make one to whisper the GM exclusively.
Yes please! I think being able to click on a player name/avatar pic and bring up a separate chat for them would be so much easier than having to whisper to everyone in the chat all the time.
This is probably my most wanted feature at the moment also.
To the top ! It will be very useful. Currently, we are using Roll20 + rolisteam (or rolistik) only for the chat windows. However, for those who don't have multiple screens, it's relay difficult to follow everything, everywhere. (sorry for my poor English)
I started a thread of my own, but probably should have just chimed in here. I'd love the ability to send the same message to the players of my choice. However, I'd also like to be able to control whether or not they can see who else received the message. Also, the ability to right click a player's token or portrait to whisper them or add them to a chat group would be so nice. In general, I find the chat system to be the most restrictive and frustrating thing thing when I DM in Roll20. I would LOVE to seem some work done on it. +1
I do everything over text, so the chat window is extremely important. Please consider: 1) TIMESTAMPS. If I can write a quick /timestamp at the start of every night, my other players would know what they have missed. 2) Split up the Chat Archive. It takes a looooooooooooong time to load my Chat. It would be great if I could archive some of the chat (and title it). That way I can load chats by story arc, instead of loading everything and then ignore 99% of it. 3) Copy/Paste Chat Archives: Not sure how the text is rendered, but it looks like I can't really copy/paste the text - very annoying. If you can't split the chat archive, at least let me export it.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
#1 is already available, see: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/My_Settings#Enable_Chat_Ti" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/My_Settings#Enable_Chat_Ti</a>...
Oh, great! I see it in action already. Thanks Aaron!
I run text only games. It's a bit of a hassle to have to switch between roll20 and skype to manage my games, but as an immersionist I simply can't run everything on one text window. OOC/IC split is absolutely crucial, but having more windows to support party splits is even better. In my current game, the party hasn't even become a solidified group yet, so you can imagine how many windows I'm running simply for immersive RP purposes.
one chat tab for dice rolling, another for chat and interaction&nbsp;
Joe Y. said: I'd love to see this, as long as it came with a pop out option. I don't think I could handle a larger chat screen. It's hard enough dealing with the lost screen real estate from the current setup :P. I would love to see this as an option. I saw that there is an ability on the Dev server to popout chat, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. However, to have multiple chats going and the ability to popout all of them would be very useful indeed. Like many of my fellow DM's, I use a lot of whispers/chats to communicate to them. +++++++++++++++++1
Jason H. said: Also, the ability to right click a player's token or portrait to whisper them or add them to a chat group would be so nice. I would also love to see this ability!!!! +++++++1
Doing voice / video chat is really difficult for me due to scheduling (working professional, business travel) and conditions at home (kids being kids). Text chat is basically my only option at the moment, and the current chat setup makes that a pain.
The chat archive takes about 43 seconds to load, now. Because I can't export it, I don't want to clear the archive. Unfortunately my PCs aren't opening the archive anymore and consider it unusable. Please consider a text-only export of the archive, or letting me break them up into multiple files..
This is my #1 feature request as well.
Michael T. said: not have it hidden behind all the stuff I use as a gm. Pop out wins for me over multiple chat windows! I love the pop out character sheets (although if you have variables written in to macros you have to flick between windows if you're not multi-monitored). I hate the chat beep, but when I GM and have the journal page open so i can pull out monsters or my game macros tab open its very easy to lose the plot :) Jason H. said: Also, the ability to right click a player's token or portrait to whisper them or add them to a chat group would be so nice. In general, I find the chat system to be the most restrictive and frustrating thing thing when I DM in Roll20. I would LOVE to seem some work done on it. +1 And this!! THIS!!! Whispers are a pain to do on the fly, even with a journal note for each player.

Edited 1458416672
Is this topic still valid? Or does [old topic] mean it died? Because like lots of groups have a second window open like Skype. Which is really bad.
These are all great reasons to utilize this. Another use I would have for this feature is note-taking, both as a GM and a player. I currently jump between a few programs while running my Roll20 games, but if I could create a conversation involving only myself that had its own chat log, I could cut out my sticky notes program, and just send messages to myself that only I can read. This is sort of attainable with Journals and the like, but its mostly about getting the process down to 'click-type-send' all within the one window.
I am still in need for this. Switching around between roll20 chat window and skype is really annoying. roll20 beeps around, skype doesn't autoscroll if it doesn't have focus... this makes it really hard playing when you want to separate inworld chat and ooc.
+1
Hoob
Marketplace Creator
Have we had any sort of developer input on this idea anywhere yet? This suggestion is getting pretty old despite being so popular.
I also wish that I felt like the roll20 folks were at least hearing the feedback.&nbsp; There's a lot of paying folks in this thread.
Eska
Sheet Author
Translator
This feature would be a great support for text-only games. If I could add a separate OOC chat channel it would be much easier for me to organize my game log and provide the players with better immersion. Any text-only or text-heavy game would benefit from this feature a lot.
I know my GM would love this if it existed, so please make this!
We need this more than we need breakfast. And we really need breakfast. Most important meal of the day, or so they say.
The feature that I would most like to see in games is the ability for the GM to modify and delete posts.&nbsp; Also, for players to modify their last post (not including macro-made posts or rolls).&nbsp; Who's with me on this?&nbsp; This is a feature that has gone un-made for far too long.
Is this something that is being considered or worked on?&nbsp; I run a text based game and it would be great if I could control the full game within Roll20... right now we're using Skype.&nbsp;&nbsp; Please tell me having different chat channels for players will be a thing soon.&nbsp; :-)
+1 from my side as well. Is this feature in any kind of development? Having ability to split one or more players from the party in a separate chat window would help soooooooo much.&nbsp;
This is needed so much; it's annoying to have to swtich to different chats to use Roll20.
We agree that this is a need, but have no timeline.
Hoob
Marketplace Creator
Awesome to get some developer input on this, thanks for the response Nolan.
Do want