Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Vassal-Like Modules

Hi I'm a wargamer and i love to play Warmachine there, but i saw this and i really like the whole all-in-one system and lots of good features that Roll20 has. But what i really needs a way to make a bundle of images, maps and all that stuff categorized by the players about a specific game. Also it would be great if it is shareable. This could be done as part of a save campaign system to export and import campaigns. Maybe the only issue is copyrights but that was very well handled in Vassal and I'm sure Roll20 staff took some measures about the use of copyright images ( by leaving the responsibility to the players or taking a reactive policing approach ). I think that if there is a way to make this easy for port games to this platform it will be great and i will switch to it immediately.
Modules are on the long-term road map to address this, the ability to define a campaign and share it for reuse.
Modules are on the long-term road map to address this, the ability to define a campaign and share it for reuse. Awesome, thanks Eric for the fast answer, i didn't saw that roadmap. Can we also have some type of scripting language to make functions ? It will be very much needed.
There are basic dice rolling script tools available via macros: <a href="http://help.roll20.net/macros/" rel="nofollow">http://help.roll20.net/macros/</a> The devs are pretty busy today but they can comment more if they have any plans for additional scripting support. It would of course always be handy to have some concrete use cases for additional scripting support so we can better see how they fit in.
There are basic dice rolling script tools available via macros: <a href="http://help.roll20.net/macros/" rel="nofollow">http://help.roll20.net/macros/</a> The devs are pretty busy today but they can comment more if they have any plans for additional scripting support. It would of course always be handy to have some concrete use cases for additional scripting support so we can better see how they fit in. I can give you a lot of good examples. For example in many wargames you have something call melee range in the miniature that need to be displayed on and off to see if they are in range ( using templates could solve this but it would slow the process ). Drawing lines that will tell us how many inches is one model from another is completely crucial because it define if one can attack or perform an action. The binding grid that you have makes it difficult because all games measure things in inches and position is a key aspect of wargames. A way to generalize this is to be able to call on a defined spot a specific image ( and it should accept image with 50% alpha or similar png ) using a one click function ( right click on the object -> select from menu ). You already got those features but restricted to some options ( for example the colored dots that you can put over the token and the measuring line ), just need to open that to be able to attach new attribute objects to the token and labels them. Lastly a great feature that you have is the roll formulas, ill be great if i can attack does macros with data in a stat card of a miniature : Lets say for example a range attack roll is normally determinated by : (2d6 + Attacker_Rat >= Target_Def) -> hits! otherwise miss. Being able to make formulas like that and store them would be great, in general they are additions , subtractions and comparatives of values , nothing too complex. I'm not sure if your macros already handle this, I'll be testing it to see if there is a way for it. EDIT: I try it and is almost there but i can add up and compare them, 2d6 > 1should always be a success, i know i can write 1d6 + 1d6 >1 but is messy when you need to throw 5d6 . Also the Macros are really good but i can't put variables in them ( for example different models have different stat values that change thought the game very fast ), i'll be nice to be able to insert does values. Thanks a lot for this amazing platform, it looks like it will have a very promising future!