Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Receivng Syntax Error when trying to set up an Attack through Character Sheet

Edited 1506555130
One of my players was having issues updating his animal companion a few hours ago. Though set up correctly, it simply didn't generate an attack. So, I started playing around, both with his sheet and one of mine, and all I'm getting is this, even if I ask the sheet just to roll a single d6: SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. Searching this brought up threads from a few years ago, but I have the crit field filled, as per the workaround from that time. Anything we set up weeks ago still works; modifying one of those attacks, however, leads to it not working. Ex: a functional longbow attack I swapped from a d8 to a d6 produced the error, and ceased to function after even when I put it back to a d8. I either get this error or it doesn't work at all. Help? I've poked through all the tabs and fiddled with things without much luck. Even tried creating a new sheet, all defaults in place, and the same thing. I have no idea if I'm doing something wrong or if the new update caused a bug. I'm running firefox on windows; he's chrome, I believe, on a mac. Edit: In monkeying around further, I turned off auto roll for damage and crit which finally produced an attack roll, but it still won't create a damage one.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Which sheet?
I'm having the same exact problem. The new [5th Edition OGL Character Sheet version 2.0] completely broke all of my macros attached to the "Attacks and Spellcasting" portion of the character sheet. I can confirm what OP said about turning off auto roll for damage. This also "fixes" it for me, but I don't want to do it that way.  Here is what it says every time I attempt to roll one of my attacks: "SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found." It appears that something was changed, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what.
I can confirm our entire party is having the same problems tonight.  All attacks & spellcasting are affected.
Looks like it's tied to the "Auto Damage roll" option.  When "Auto Roll Damage & Crit" is turned on we get the error.  When it isn't, we get the attack roll and if a player clicks the roll results a damage roll happens.  Crit damage seems to be broken either way.

Edited 1506561040
I don't know which sheet version it is, and I'm not sure where to look for that. It's the defaults available on my free account. If you're able to look at it, well, Bia was the animal companion I was trying to fix, and Seetah was my test dummy when I couldn't get it working. I'm not sure if "Sheet Author" is a mod/admin title, sorry ^^; Suppose it's notable that when trying with auto roll off and the attack roll coming up, clicking for damage just advances the chat a tiny bit? As if it's trying to post something but it's just blank. It doesn't roll for me, unlike what seems to be happening for Trey and Teeleh.
My groups getting the same problem, l as well as spells, if they are set to attack they won't cast, but spellcards work fine, If we turn off auto roll dmg they work with a little changing to them, I noticed the spells as well added little icons to the side of it like VSM C R was there a small update that broke?
I am having the spell problem as well, Vetis. It should also be noted that the update invalidated my attack roll macros for ALL created NPCs, however simply clicking on the NPC sheets individually seems to "refresh" them in some way, and update the attacks back to working order. Needless to say, I am now manually clicking each monster in my exhaustive roster individually... -_-'
Yup I get the same error too on ver 2.0 I had to leave auto damage and critical off
Minor update: another player hopped on to check on things. This happens on chrome, firefox, and tablet. It likely happened sometime after noon today, since she updated her spells this morning and they work properly, if that helps narrow things down.
The problem apparently originates from the global damage modifier. You will need to put in some sort of blank value in this field and auto roll damage should work again.
Was having the same problem. Can confirm setting the global damage modifier to something like "0" fixes this issue.
Hey, it worked! Thanks, guys. You da real mvps.
It is set to 0 for my sheets; toggling it higher did not help in my case, with auto roll on or off.
Im with Krisley, messing with the modifiers did nothing. I am able to roll the attack rolls, just not the damage rolls.
Can you put the code that is failing here so that we can try and figure out where the problem is in it. We know what causes the error you mentioned above, but it could be caused by many different things.
Kyle G. said: Can you put the code that is failing here so that we can try and figure out where the problem is in it. We know what causes the error you mentioned above, but it could be caused by many different things. SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found.
If I knew where to locate that, gladly? This is the attack block I'm looking at though, if it helps in any way. It's not even pulling her dex to roll initiative. It's like there's a disconnect between the code that calculates rolls and the stats it has to pull from. I do apologize if I come off as terse; I'm balancing a few things at the moment.
I have 2 different issues, the first one is the comments above. I have another case with a warlock of mine where it has that message and a whole lot more.  I ended up with all of those errors at once just by clicking Eldrich Blast, which i had just dragged from the compodeium. 
Vetis said: Kyle G. said: Can you put the code that is failing here so that we can try and figure out where the problem is in it. We know what causes the error you mentioned above, but it could be caused by many different things. SyntaxError: Expected "(", ".", "[", "abs(", "ceil(", "d", "floor(", "round(", "t", "{", [ |\t], [+|\-] or [0-9] but end of input found. Krisley said: If I knew where to locate that, gladly? This is the attack block I'm looking at though, if it helps in any way. It's not even pulling her dex to roll initiative. It's like there's a disconnect between the code that calculates rolls and the stats it has to pull from. I do apologize if I come off as terse; I'm balancing a few things at the moment. You can push the up arrow in chat to get the command you sent most recently. That was what I was hoping to see.
I'm experiencing the same problem, here's the code I got when I used a weapon with auto roll damage and crit turned on:  @{Stromp|wtype}&{template:atkdmg} {{mod=+5}} {{rname=Greataxe}} {{r1=[[@{Stromp|d20}cs>20 + 3[STR] + 2[PROF]]]}} @{Stromp|rtype}cs>20 + 3[STR] + 2[PROF]]]}} {{attack=1}} {{range=}} {{damage=1}} {{dmg1flag=1}} {{dmg1=[[1d12 + 3[STR]]]}} {{dmg1type=Slashing }} 0 {{dmg2=[[0]]}} {{dmg2type=}} {{crit1=[[1d12[CRIT]]]}} {{crit2=[[0[CRIT]]]}} 0 {{desc=}} {{spelllevel=}} @{Stromp|global_attack_mod} @{Stromp|global_damage_mod} @{Stromp|global_damage_mod_crit} {{globaldamagetype=@{Stromp|global_damage_type}}} ammo= @{Stromp|charname_output}

Edited 1506617452
Do you have an attribute called global_damage_mod_crit in the Attributes & Abilities tab. Most likely it is at or near the bottom of the list. My guess is that this is the problem attribute.  Also check global_attack_mod
Kyle G. said: Do you have an attribute called global_damage_mod_crit in the Attributes & Abilities tab. Most likely it is at or near the bottom of the list. My guess is that this is the problem attribute.  Also check global_attack_mod I only found global_damage_mod_flag and global_attack_mod_flag at the bottom of that tab. Are those something else?
Did some digging and I'm pretty sure that the error you were getting was from the global_damage_mod_crit attribute. If you directly call it from the chat using @{selected|global_damage_mod_crit} it produces the same error you are experiencing. I'm not sure what the correct value is supposed to be for the attribute though to help you manually change it. However according to the  character sheet thread , it seems this problem has been resolved. If it has not, I would encourage you to continue the conversation in that thread as opposed to this one. That way we can keep everything in one place.
Whatever fixed they rolled out, it's solved the syntax error for my game. I was unaware the sheet thread was also the bug thread, though, so I'll post my other issue with stats not being included there. (With the code this time- thanks, Kyle)