Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Weird Dynamic lighting question

Ok so I hope I describe this correctly and clearly.  Apologies in advance if I do not.   So what I am looking at is some way to have shared lighting in a sense.  For example.  I have a human that cannot see in a cave and another character that is a half elf that casts light on themselves to allow the human to see.  Outside of the light radius the human would not be able to see of course, but the other character is a half elf and can therefore see in the dark.  Is there a script or some kind of way to be able to essentially share the light spell vision but not fully share the vision of the half elf so that the human can still see, but not to the extent of the half elf.  So basically the human would be able to see the 20ft or whatever from the half elf but as soon as he were to start moving further away from the half elf (like 30, 40+ ft) the sight of the human would dim and/or go away? Again I hope this makes sense.  If not hopefully I can come up with another example to make it more clear.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
So, you COULD set the elf's vision multiplier to something large, like x4, and set the elf's light radius to something like 15.  That would let the human see with the elf's light to 15 ft, but the elf would see like it was 60 ft. You could set up the elf's light to where not all see it and use it as the darkvision.  Then create another token which emits the light and drag it along with the elf.

Edited 1506483202
The multiplier doesn't affect what other character's see?  I was unaware...thank you.  The dragging a token along was something I thought about, but just wondered if there was something easier.  Thank you by the way!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
So that's what one uses the multiplier for! !roll20AM --play|choral-epiphany ;-)
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
=D  Yeah, I've never actually used it, but it's a pretty cool effect.  I can't remember what game it is that has darkvision as double distance for light sources, but that was what lead to the creation of the setting...
Ada L.
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
You can use my Carry Tokens script to have the elf carry an object with the light spell on it.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The Aaron said: =D  Yeah, I've never actually used it, but it's a pretty cool effect.  I can't remember what game it is that has darkvision as double distance for light sources, but that was what lead to the creation of the setting... Low-light vision in pathfinder is one example.
I think 3.5 was another.  I don't recall off hand though.  Either way this is awesome and simple!