Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

NPC / monster manual names still appeared despite game setting turned 'off'

In the Game Settings, I set the NPC names to NOT appear ("ADD CHARACTER NAME TO TEMPLATES:  Off ")  but that is currently insufficient to keep the character's name/type from appearing in the chat box's "attack" templates.  Specifically, I dragged a goblin onto the playing field, "hidden in trees".  When I clicked the shortbow attack, I expected to have the players see that an arrow had been launched and the attack dice rolls... but not the character type that was making the attack.  Unfortunately, the chat box still showed that it was a "Goblin" arrow attack, inside the attack box outline.  The chat pulldown for me was set to "GM", not to "Goblin" so that's not the issue. The bug aside, it would be nice to be able to - within the game, not just through exiting the game to change game settings - enable/disable the level of detail shown for NPC attacks, so that players can see the dice roll and the name of the attack but not the monster type and all the rest of the details of the attack ability.
From what I can tell in your post, you made this change in the Game Settings (outside of the VTT). When you make the change outside of the VTT, every NEW character sheet will have the setting applied to it; however pre-existing character sheets will not be changed.  Fortunately, you can apply these settings to pre-existing character sheet by clicking the button at the bottom of the in-game settings.Keep in mind this will make the change on PC characters as well, but there should be fewer characters sheets to have to manually revert the setting on. InfraBlack said: The bug aside, it would be nice to be able to - within the game, not just through exiting the game to change game settings - enable/disable the level of detail shown for NPC attacks, so that players can see the dice roll and the name of the attack but not the monster type and all the rest of the details of the attack ability. The current way to do this in-game is to manual adjust the settings for each individual character sheet. It's not pretty or efficient, but it gets the job done. You could also utilize the API (specifically thinking ChatSetAttr by Jakob) to change these settings in mass without have to open up each individual character sheet.
Found the in-game setting in the character sheets options gear that you were referring to.  Thanks!