Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Animated Tokens

When an animated sprite/gif/etc is placed in "Use Selected Token" it displays the animation in the box; likewise, the same image will be animated in the Initiative Tracker… but how do you make these images animate on the map?

Edited 1389314726
Roll20 does not currently support animated gifs or tokens as far as I am aware.
Is there a reason why it is animated on Handouts and Turn Trackers but not the table, or was that an oversight?
I believe it has to do with how Canvas renders the image. To borrow from fellow mod Kristin, who understands this better than I: "... the reason we don't currently have animated GIFs support in Roll20 is how the tabletop is rendered. When the screen refreshes, it displays what is essentially one giant image. It first processes all the visible graphic elements and how they're layered atop one another. Then it creates a single flat image from this and displays it on your screen. Presently if you upload an animated GIF file, you'll only ever see the first frame of the animation. Back when we had the old render engine, there were bizarre events that would happen when you transformed an animated GIF in Roll20 - the transformation manipulations only affect the first frame but not for the rest of them for example."

Edited 1389392467
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
As Sarah said, the main canvas renderer does not support animated GIF files, it's a limitation of the technology. Also, for example, the image uploader currently strips animation from GIFs as well, so the only way you would see animated GIFs like you are seeing is from things added from the Web Search. Other places in the app like the ones you pointed out do happen to support them to some degree because it's a different type of rendering. But at any rate, officially we don't support animated GIF images at this time.