Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

JPG upload recompression?

Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I'm trying to upload a large image to use as our campaign map and I'd like it to be reasonably crisp. However, I've been finding that uploading the image to my roll20 gallery appears to be compressing it to a lower quality than I'd like. Is there any way to avoid this or will I have to save it as a png? Its frustrating to be forced to overkill on image size when I can save out a jpg at good quality at very reasonable file size.

Edited 1389823629
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Hmmm. This is when you're making the image really large (in terms of dimensions on the tabletop, e.g. 30x30 squares or something)? It should load in the "original.jpg" file if it's really large which is not compressed...
Gauss
Forum Champion
What are the pixel dimensions of the image (not in Roll20) and what are the grid dimensions you are setting it to in Roll20?
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Original image is 1410x1410, page size is 20x20 units which are 70 pixels. Grid is off.
Gauss
Forum Champion
So it should be using *close* to the original image. Please email me the original image <a href="mailto:Gauss_Death1@msn.com" rel="nofollow">Gauss_Death1@msn.com</a> and send me a join link to your campaign.
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I've sent the e-mail

Edited 1390097437
Riley D.
Roll20 Team
Looking into this, I can see how this might be an issue. Roll20 automatically creates several different sizes of each image you upload (thumb, med, max, original). The reason we do this is because people often upload a huge image (e.g. 1000x1000+ pixels) and then proceed to use it as a 70x70 pixel token on the screen. If we didn't create a smaller size, then your computer would run extremely slow since on every render it would have to do a lot of calculating to size down the image. However, this does present an issue for people who really want to have full control over exactly how an image looks in terms of recompression and whatnot. What I think the best approach would be is to increase the JPG quality when we do our resizing to something very high (possibly even 100%) for the really large image sizes (max, possibly also med) -- original is already uncompressed and is the original file, but it's only used if the image is larger than 2000x2000 pixels currently. I will work on making that change and let you know when it's implemented. If you don't want to wait for it to get fixed, in the meantime you can indeed use a PNG file, as those are not compressed/lossy even with the resizes. Normally I would recommend against using a PNG file for a image that large, but it shouldn't hurt your performance too badly as a temporary solution.
Richard T.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Yeah, I'm thankful that its a campaign map that I'm having issues with, so I'm not layering as many map elements on top. I realize this is a edge case but I'll be looking forward to trusting jpgs more often.