Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Players can create "tokens" from the character sheet image

Edited 1389975055
That just happened to me on accident, as I was messing around with the character sheet in one of the games where I'm a player. I was in the character sheet, and accidently dragged+dropped the character image onto the tabletop. And woosh, I had a "token" with that image there. I can move it around and enter values into the bubbles. Can't delete it of course... I didn't think that was possible, so I went into my own test-campaign to figure out if it was a one-time fluke or not, and tried it there. Works as well. There's a few issues I have with that: a) It drops the "token" in full size onto the Tabletop, at least when the grid is turned off. It seems to resize to 1x1 when grid is on. b) You don't always want players to have the option to drop their token on any map. Or multiple ones on the map. c) It's using the wrong token! On my test campaign I made a character sheet, gave it a picture, and then tied a DIFFERENT token to it as the default token. Drag+Drop from the Journal works as normal (as GM) and creates the default token (doesn't work as player, as it shouldn't). Drag+Drop the image from inside the journal though, creates a token with THAT image. It's linked to the character sheet, but none of the bubbles are linked like the default token for example. So, in case i've been confusing up (I know I sometimes am), here's a step by step guide how to reproduce it: 1) Go the the journal tab 2) Click on a character that you control as player (or any as GM). Just having it in the journal isn't enough, you need Edit/control rights. DO NOT click the Edit button however. It does not work in Edit mode. 3) Go to Bio&Info tab if you're not there already 4) Click on the image and keep mouse button pressed 5) Drag the image beside the character sheet window. 6) Release 7) ??? 8) Profit
Confirmed; I got this to work too. Neat that it's auto-linked to the journal entry; odd that it's in such a default format (none of the bars filled in, none of the attributes like name visible.) I have lots of token actions on my entries; they all worked properly. Nice testing, nice reporting Quatar. Wish more people had this level of involvement when reporting bugs! Hopefully a mod will see this soon. q;}
Gid
Roll20 Team
I let the Devs know about this. By the sounds of things, that functionality might be kept, because it might prove useful for some campaigns. That being said, a player who doesn't have the edit permissions for a particular character sheet probably shouldn't have the ability to create a token in this manner (and then can't control it on the tabletop). We'll keep ya guys posted. Thanks for the report!
Kristen, thank you. However as I mentioned above, it creates the wrong kind of token, using the character sheet image instead of it's default token. So if it's to be kept, at least fix that part.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I think that's because you dragged the character image out of the character sheet. Functionality wise, if you yanked it out of an open character journal, it would imply a user wanted that image on the tabletop to serve as their token. Not all RPG games need traditional battle map tokens, so this might be the sort of situational case that would be helpful for those types of players. A GM can click and drag an entire character journal entry to the tabletop. If the character journal has an assigned token to it, it creates a new token with the proper permissions assigned using the selected token art. This second functionality is a GM only feature though.
Gid
Roll20 Team
By the by, take what I say with a grain of salt. Just sort of spitballing until Riley digs into the issue.
Kristin C. said: A GM can click and drag an entire character journal entry to the tabletop. If the character journal has an assigned token to it, it creates a new token with the proper permissions assigned using the selected token art. This second functionality is a GM only feature though. I know. It's not doing that. And the other thing seems weird, which is why I believe it's a bug.
Gid
Roll20 Team
I gave your OP a quick read through again and hopped over to a campaign to play with this. Quick question: You mentioned this: "Drag+Drop the image from inside the journal though, creates a token with THAT image. It's linked to the character sheet, but none of the bubbles are linked like the default token for example." Is that what you were referring to as being weird? Specifically not having any settings preloaded with the stat bars (the bubbles)?
Not entirely, but partly. Ok, say I have a picture of a goblin and that of an elf. Now I put the goblin picture on the tabletop and make it a token. I make a character sheet and put the Elf into the picture there, but put the goblin as the default token. (Yes, I know that's stupid, but it's two different images, that's what's important) If I (as GM) pull the Journal entry from the journal tab onto the tabletop it creates a new goblin token, yes? That's how it should be. Now I go INTO the character sheet (or a controlling player does), and drag the picture (the elf) onto the tabeltop. Now suddenly I have a token of an elf that's linked to the character sheet, has the name of the character sheet, and none of the bubbles filled or linked.
I took a few screenshots to show what I mean: Click here for them