Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Image Size and Memory Usage

This might be off-topic; sorry... I'm not the most computer-savvy, and I have a question about how image size affects loading time. More specifically, I have VERY LARGE background tiles that I have in my library for use in my map, and I was wondering of you think loading would be faster if I used a few large tiles, or a lot of very small tiles.
In general, I've found that breaking larger maps into a few smaller pieces does help with performance. You could do a test on a single large map and see if it makes things faster for you.

Edited 1389988264
Gid
Roll20 Team
It's really all kind of a wash. Very large graphics can be just as taxing as dozens and dozens of little ones. Load time is pretty much dependent on the player with the least powerful computer/slowest connection. So it's going to vary wildly. Best tips I can provide for maximizing the group's experience: Keep your image resolution low - 72-100 dpi/ppi is a good target area to handle zooming in without getting mushy looking graphics Treat a Roll20 campaign more like a module rather than a multi-month long running campaign. For those epic year long adventure paths, split it up into multiple Roll20 campaigns Archive pages and characters when they're not needed Use inline rolls to minimize chat log bloat Delete your chat log if it starts getting too long As a followup from one of the earlier points, use the the copy/extend campaign feature. Utilize the transmogrifier too.
I seem to recall hearing that Rugged Reroll did this automatically; a large background map was automatically broken up to help it load faster? Am I mistaken on that, 'cuz it sure seems to work much more quickly on the big maps I use.
Gid
Roll20 Team
You'd be right about that Phnord. The reroll handles processing images a lot more efficiently. My tips are really just a bunch of suggested habits that should help maximize running a tight ship of a campaign, not so much a MUST DO list to run a campaign.