Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Player LF DM to allow char concept. DnD 5e

Concept: I want to play Vaine, a Witcher. for those who have never played that sereis, a Witcher is a child taken or given as payment to an adult witcher. That child is taken to a fortress where they are trained from as early as possible in combat. They are given potions and elixers that mutate them. Giving them enchanced senses, a fast metabolisim, removes the need for sleep, extends their life into the 400-500 year range, and ends up giving them Catlike pupils. You combine the enchanced senses, speed, strength, and give a healthy dose of alchemy to brew combat enchancing potions with a 200 year old person trained from near birth to fight monsters - and specificly monsters. Like a ranger where the favored enemy is "anything not human". Witchers generaly kept extensive notes and passed them down, so that hundreds of years from when it was discovered the fact that Goblins unvairably fall asleep when they drink Buckthorn, a small thorny herb found on the bottom of coastal warm regions. A big focus of the concept is that your fighting style is limited, your magic is limited, but you have an extensive achemical knowledge and a tome from past witchers that catalouges a great many magical beasts. most anyone who is not a witcher hates them - i would say mostly out of jealousy of that long life - but also because they are seen as "bringing the monsters in the first place" I dont have any pre-made class or homebrew, just the concept. I am 100% willing to play a regular class (like fighter or ranger) and forego all features to have a few specific things that make it feel Witcher-y. Like Playing an eldritch knight and forgoing all spells and features to have a couple of potions i can refill and a couple of cantrips that i can use. The full list of abilitys and options avalible to a witcher in bullet format are -A steel sword for men, a Silver sword for monsters -potions of various types to assist in harder monsters. Like a water breathing one to hunt aquatic, or one that increases damage on attack rolls, the potions kill non-witchers if drank and have a toxcity to them that prevents more than 1-2 being used at a time. These must be crafted, but once crafted simply refilling the bottle with a strong alchol is enough to replenish them, like how you can refill a vanilla bottle with vodka to get more vanilla extract. -5 specifc cantrip like effects. A fire spell, a charm/friends like spell, a defensive spell like Sheild, a telekinetic push like spell (think a small force push), and a spell that slows movespeed for anyone who is not the witcher. -a tome that helps them know what magic and potions to use to not die quickly to monsters. Thats it. It ends there. You could start at level 1 with all of these features and outside of the DM deciding (your high enough level, your fire spell does an extra D6 now) nothing changes. There are no new spells. No new features. Just that list, the bonus attacks and HP of the fighter class. No second wind. No action surge. No eldritch knight spells. No subclass. No feats. I dont think it would be overpowered, but it would be a 100% homebrew thing, so id like to find a DM who is ok with that. Times i am Avalible is Tues-Fri, anytime, though after 8pm is best for me.
You also never really change weapons. Always 2 long swords, and nothing else. One steel, and one silver, at all times. The swords can switch, but its ALWAYS a longsword steel/silver combo. Armor is almost always a medium level chain/leather combo.
As a note -- most DMs are not going to let you start out with a silver sword. Those are expensive in the D&D world, and there are monsters that are particularly vulnerable to silver, so handing one out at character creation likely isn't going to happen. And in D&D, with potions, it's not a "just refill the bottle and it works." At least not to most DMs I know of. That typically won't be let fly. Also, cantrips are not nearly as powerful as the signs in Witcher. You'd either have to burn spell slots or power them way down. Matt Mercer did design a Blood Hunter class that is inspired by the Witcher universe and might be worth looking into. My advice would be to look at building a monster hunter out of available classes (like the Blood Hunter it's pretty well balanced) and use the "child as payment" for backstory but step away from the idea of getting to play a Witcher from the games in a D&D world. Video game protagonists don't make good co-op characters, generally.
Not to be argumentative, but ive Dmed and played since first edition and have adapted many a campaign to many different circrumstances. A silver longsword is still 1d8+Str. It just bypasses many resistances... which is the point. Its also why i would be fine - as the player of the character - having just 5 non scaling shitty cantrips that fit the theme. I once played a wizard with 12 int and 3 in every other stat. He died of a heart attack at a festival of old age. Bad rolls in a 2e game anduse of Venerable rules to make it playable as a wizard (with 12 int, inital roll was an 8). One of my favorite characters. There is nothing wrong with putting a direct Witcher into a dnd world. They fit perfectly. Kara-Tur exists. Zahkara exists. Tabaxi and Kenku fit. But a human monster hunter who drank magic potions does not? Did not know about Blood Hunter, i will google it. As for potions being refillable, you make it a class thing. There are many features on every class that does not make alot of sense or violates other rules. If i recall in 3.5 there was a class made that just generated magic items for people to use and used charisma to attract NPC mooks to use them. So your whole gimick is your a Robin hood that generates magic items for your 5 hirlings to go fight with. The items had stats, durations, ect, but you could just make five seperate +3 magic longswords of fire damage. I dont see why you cant do the same with a potion. Give 4 potions, let 2 be used at a time, use normal potion stats (or even nerf them if you want and make heals a heal over time for example instead of a burst) if you need real world justification i can show you a picture of my vanilla extract. Its a root that sits in a bottle of vodka. So all of the potions are either mundane enough that their easy to find or use reuseable ingredients. Like a mage spell component pouch. Witchers are not inherently protaginists of a video game. Geralt of Rivia is a protaginist. Im not trying to play Geralt, im trying to do my own thing with it. In your games as a DM the things you say are 100% true because that is how you decide to run your games. I have included NPC witchers in several games i have ran and it has not caused any issue, either as an enemy or as an ally. As a player i am also ok with being "weaker" than other players. I tend not to fixate too much on maintaining a rigid balance of power and instead focus on fun. I would be 100% ok with going 1-20 gaining no abilitys other than HP and bonus attacks at appropriate levels, never changing gear at all from level 1. Your not the DM i am looking for, but i hope the DM i am looking for ends up seeing this post. I know they are out there.