Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Performance & Drawn Maps

I suppose this question goes for maps in general, but I'm curious whether maps created using the in-game drawing tools (albeit with lot of elements) is better for performance than using imported images of maps. I realize that the image size, for the latter, will dictate a lot, but are the drawn maps light weight even compared to efficient image maps? How about for larger maps? (i.e., larger than 50x50) Would using drawn maps be preferable in terms of performance? 
A while back, I asked if using text graphics, or the text tool was better for performance.  I was told the text tool is better. Hence I assume that drawn images would be better for performance than graphics.  But personally, I don't think it's worth it.  It's much more immersive, imo, to have a nicely laid out map than some line drawings.  But if you need the performance, than drawings should work out better.
in simple terms a flat image produced and imported into roll20 is better than an asset loaded map created in roll20.  think in terms of Each Token dropped onto the flat map or blank canvas as an asset. 

Edited 1515624787
Gold
Forum Champion
Roll20 does some pretty neat tech in terms of handling large map images. When you're zoomed out it is displaying a compressed or "thumbnail" version of your overall pic. When you're zoomed in, it is able to slice up the map in sections so that mainly the part that a Player is zoomed-to, is the part that is loading. I've had good luck with images even larger than 50x50 units at 100%. Note that file-size is a bigger deal (images getting over 5MB or anywhere close to 10MB can see more lag), but a nice large-pixel-dimension that is decently compressed to a moderate file-size, has not been a leading source of lag in my experience. Where I find those games slow-down doesn't seem to be the fault of fairly-large maps. The components I've found adding lag are, Dynamic Lighting depending on the complexity of the lines & the number of tokens with sight & the power of the computer displaying it; Advanced Fog Of War; and having a large number of Characters including NPC's/monsters that have character sheets with attributes -- the more attributes on your sheet, the worse the multiplier. In conclusion my main answer would be: No need to draw maps for saving performance. Compress your maps to JPG 90% or less, making file-sizes around 2MB, 4MB, not ones like 7-9MB. Make tiles so that largest graphic is up-to 5500x5500 pixels MAXIMUM. (You can have multiple tiles of that size, for a huge page size). Then notice that the map itself isn't adding a lot of lag, but your choice to turn on DL, AFOW, or having lots of Characters in the Journals, those things can make your large map seem laggier when panning around. If you plan to use those lighting features then it might be smart to plan-ahead a smaller map and page size to help compensate for other resource-consuming areas.