Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

A Reroll Button inside of a roll

Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't have a lot of time to experiment with this right now, so I'm hoping someone can help me out with this trick.  I'd like to add a "reroll" button – ala a nested macro – inside a roll result.  The result I'm hoping for is that when the player rolls dice, the result shows up inside the chat display as usual, but includes a "reroll" button.  With a click of this, the player is prompted to roll X more dice that can be added to the original roll.  I'm also hoping that, by doing this, it will keep all the rolls grouped in the same results display.  Make sense?  I don't need the two groups to be joined (as in original roll + reroll), but I'm hoping to keep them somewhat grouped so that players don't have to scroll between two result groups in the chat window, even if someone else rolls dice before they make any necessary rerolls. Can this be done?  How would you do it? Thanks!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
"...the player is prompted to roll X more dice that can be added to the original roll." Use case?  Is this like an attack roll that's made then the player can click for damage, or are you actually wanting to add the "re-roll" amount to the original roll total?  AFAIK, adding to the original roll wouldn't be possible without some sort of API script (like powercards). You could probably include a query on the re-roll for the player to manually enter the previous amount which could be added to the new roll.  Also, I believe hitting the re-roll button would create a new chat output window, meaning that the roll wouldn't be contained within the first roll's output window.
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Nah! The real reason is a lot more simple. It's a dice pool game and my players often forget some of their bonus dice when they make their initial rolls.  That's pretty easy to fix with a "roll x dice" macro.  But what I REALLY want to accomplish is better grouping. It's harder to incorporate the reroll results when there are 2-3 comments or other rolls between your original roll and your additions. So I want to know if I nest a reroll "button" after a player's roll if the subsequent roll will stay part of that same "grouping" when they execute it. 
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Tom said: So I want to know if I nest a reroll "button" after a player's roll if the subsequent roll will stay part of that same "grouping" when they execute it.  I see.  I don't think there's a way to control that. ;-(
Tom
Pro
Sheet Author
Vince said: I see.  I don't think there's a way to control that. ;-( Yeah, now that I've had a chance to play around with it, I find that it doesn't work at all like I'd hoped.  I considered keeping it in the mix, as my players might find it more convenient than hunting down in the macro bar, but some of my players use their character sheets instead of macros and I really don't want to go making all those built in macros more complicated than they already are. Ah well...