Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Tutorial Session: My Experience, Your Questions. Interested? Saturday Night, Central Standard Time.

Howdy folks. So I've been having a lot of fun with Roll20, learning all I can about it and how it makes just about every aspect of gaming so much better. I've seen a lot of people with questions about how it works, and I've been asked by several to show them the ropes, which I've done. But I think there's a better way than getting with people one-on-one and I'd like to try something different. So, what I'm gonna do is open myself up for a tutorial session this weekend. I'll start with a nice blank canvas, and everyone can come join up and learn a bit about how things work in Roll20. We'll start with the basics, this time, and see how things go. I think a session where everyone learns how to make maps, add decoration to their maps, and align pre-gridded maps to Roll20's grid, is a good idea as a starting place, so that's what I'll focus on this time. I'll give everyone GM privileges, and a blank canvas to work on, to create their own Roll20 Masterpiece. I'll do what I can to help each person, and we'll see what happens. Due to certain restrictions in Roll20's system they won't be directly saveable, but I'll show you how to work around that to some extent, and at least have some form of your work transferred onto your computer. I'll be using Google Hangouts for voice, so please make sure that's something you can use if you're going to join us. The date will be this coming Saturday, January 25, at around 9:00 PM Central, although the exact time isn't yet set in stone. If this is something you'd be interested in doing, please let me know in this thread. Also include a brief description of what you'd like to learn about during this session, as well as ideas for future sessions, as this may be the kind of thing I'll do more of in the future. Some things I already have on my list for future sessions is setting up character sheets and journal entries, tying them to tokens, making macros and the like, and eventually advance concepts like preparing entire campaigns from scratch. Although there's the possibility of talking about such things as how to GM or play various systems, or role-playing in general, for now I would like to focus these sessions (if there are more than one!) strictly on Roll20's capabilities. Hoping to see you there! -Phnord
Well you know I'll be there Phnord!
Phnord, if you don't mind, I'd like to share this with some people who might be interested in Roll20 but do not yet have an account. Something like this might be just the thing to convince them to make the leap over here and at least check it out. If there's interest, I will log in too and help out if I can.
Brett, I don't mind at all, but what do you mean exactly? If they don't have an account, that is... are they going to gather around your computer and all watch at the same time? Regardless, the more the merrier... yes, all are welcome.
No, I mean to say that I will relate the information about your tutorial session and if they're interested then they can create an account and join in. Anyway, thanks for the confirmation, I will pass it on and I am planning to log in too.
Here's a bump to say that I've moved the starting time up by an hour; I'll be there even earlier, but I'd like to get everyone started early enough that we're not at it all night long. Reminder that everyone who wants to come is welcome; I'll just be covering the basics of map-making and such to begin with. Later on after all that's done, I'll open it up to other questions as needed. We'll just wing it and see what happens. Here's the join link: Tutorial Session 1: Maps and Other Basics
I am interested in watching and asking questions! Thank you so much in advance for running this tutorial! So just to clarify you will be starting this at 8:00 PM CST?
That's right, 8 pm Central (With a little leeway for straggtlers)
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I'll try to be there.
Hi Metroknight! Not sure what I can teach you that you don't already know, but you're more than welcome to join the fun! See y'all in a couple hours! EVERYONE is welcome to join!
Well, that wasn't quite as smooth as I would have liked but I think we accomplished something good. We'll see about doing this again in the future. Thanks to all who joined!