Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API to track player resources?

Is there an API I could use to display player resources, like Ki, Spell Slots, Second Wind, etc. on all the players in a group? I don't think it's malicious, but I do think my players have poor book keeping skills and are over using their resources in 5e.

Edited 1516553201
Which 5e sheet are you using? The 5e OGL sheet and the 5e Shaped sheet both have companion API scripts which do this, I believe. Edit: Re-reading your post, are you asking for a summary of all the PCs in one display? If so, then the scripts do not do that.
Yes, I am looking for a summary of all the PCs resources
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You could, without the API, write a plain old macro which would display a bunch of attribute calls. It wouldn't be able to tell you if any value had changed, but it would show you the current value. The name of any given value would change depending on the sheet and the character, but the basic syntax would be @{character name|attribute}. You could probably format this nicely in a roll template, and GM whisper it if you are worried about spamming the chat. It would require a good deal of up-front work.
This might not work for all your resources, since it could take up a lot of screen real estate, but I create decks of cards to track some of those things.  For example, for my monk, I created a deck of cards that are a little Yin/Yang symbol that he uses for his Ki points.  He can then grab the amount he needs at a rest, and then just plays the cards to the tabletop every time he spends a Ki point.  Then he's always got a visual reminder in front of him for how many he's got left. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Gozer the Gozerian said: This might not work for all your resources, since it could take up a lot of screen real estate, but I create decks of cards to track some of those things.  For example, for my monk, I created a deck of cards that are a little Yin/Yang symbol that he uses for his Ki points.  He can then grab the amount he needs at a rest, and then just plays the cards to the tabletop every time he spends a Ki point.  Then he's always got a visual reminder in front of him for how many he's got left.  You should post this to my  Stupid Tricks thread. It's a perfect fit.
keithcurtis said: You should post this to my  Stupid Tricks thread. It's a perfect fit. Done!  :)
DK Heinrich
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4543180/slug%7D" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/4543180/slug%7D</a> Ammo script should be able to do this.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ammo is really more for single instance stuff.&nbsp; Probably to get something that is truly satisfying, would take an addition to the companion script for the character sheet, or something custom.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I'd use ChatSetAttr in the absence of features provided by a companion script.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I think the OP is more interested in viewing the collection of resources than manipulating them, unless I'm misreading it.

Edited 1516648822
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I'd use Keith's suggestion to display the resources, but having a way to decrement used features is a good way to bolster bookkeeping skills.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Silvyre said: I'd use Keith's suggestion to display the resources, but having a way to decrement used features is a good way to bolster bookkeeping skills. It would be a super complex macro, but it could all be rolled into one big roll template with overall viewing, plus decrementing API buttons for individual items. It would be a good candidate for a spreadsheet to do the parsing, so that all you have to do is fill cells with the character name, attribute and uses field, and let it write each line for you.
I'll take a stab at the super complex macro. Multiple character sheets in a campaign, with a DM sheet would probably solve this, but they've been very clear they are NOT going to do that.