Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

API Buttons in a Table

When typing up a macro for an API button, I found that the use of an "=" results in a second column being created. However, when using a second "=" it does not create a third column. Am wondering if this is intended (presuming not as the additional columns cannot be created and the second column isn't in bold). If this is not intended behavior, why does it happen? Could this be used in other areas?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I believe the item before the "=" is treated as a label, and the item after is the data the label refers to. Like Str = 10 results in " Str     10". So two columns is all you're likely to see. However, that's a pretty clever way to use the basic roll template. You should consider adding that tip to my  Stupid Roll20 Tricks thread . Great use of limited  space.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Yep, this is how roll templates work. Each field is a key-value pair. Each key can only be displayed once, How each key value pair is displayed depends on the code of the roll template in question. The default template shows them in a two column layout, with the exception of the name key, which is used as the header.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I wish the default template had a simple "text" field that would fill the template edge to edge. Not everything needs a name:text tabular layout. I use it all the time for the Shaped Sheet.
Thank you both for advising! keithcurtis, by all means, feel free to put it in. While the explanations are generally understood, I'm at a loss for how to explain it as a trick.  Second that wish.