Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need suggestions on uploading large city map

I'm trying to set up a campaign that is based in Monte Cook's "Ptolus City by the Spire". I know there are lots of city map options out there, but for one of my pages i'm trying to make hi res areas of the original map as not to waste time building my own city map. So far I've spliced together the Large Print Format, but it weighs in at a whopping 69.1 MB! I'm new to Roll20 and still have a few things to learn... any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Gid
Roll20 Team
Check out the resolution on the image in a graphics program. If the file is meant for print, it's going to probably run between 300-500 dpi. You don't need that sort of resolution for web. What you want to do is downgrade the image resolution to 72 ppi (without autoscaling the image dimensions of the map). The standard grid on Roll20's tabletop also is 70x70 pixels if that also helps compress the size of the image down. You can also slice up the image into quarters if the maps are just REALLY that big too.
As pointed out to me recently in a thread concerning maps and dimensions - <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Creating_Marketplace_Asse" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Creating_Marketplace_Asse</a>... What you have is information overload that is bound to crash your computer and anyone who tries to enter your campaign. You need to prioritize what you will need to run the adventure, while minimizing and editing out tons of extraneous information. Sure, having every single unique alley detailed out would be awesome in a perfect world, but if the players will never go there, it is an unnecessary waste of resources. My suggestion - Figure out what information you're trying to convey. If you need to see the whole city in one map, I would scale it down a LOT, also change the print file size (typically 300 dpi) to lower resolution version meant to be seen on the screen (72 pixels per inch). You will lose detail, but you'll be giving the viewer a general idea of the overall layout of the city. Slice up the city into smaller maps to give impressions of regions and so on. I would save the detailed maps that tokens are supposed to inhabit and interact for places that the actual boots-on-the-ground adventures will happen. If you find yourself needing detail from a specific place on your ginomous map on the fly, you can always go into it outside of Roll20, zoom to that place, make a screen cap, paste it into a basic paint program, save it as a jpg and then import that screen cap to Roll20. Probably not the advice you want to hear, but I hope that helps. - X
Hey Kristen! Thanks for the quick response. I pulled an all nighter, so I'm taking a break now, but the current resolution of the entire map is 99.9998 × 99.9998 ppi/8316 × 5500 pixels in size (print size = 83.160 × 55.000 inches) This version of the map was map specifically for large scale printing. I'll try your suggestions after I've gotten some sleep and recharged the brain. In the mean time, maybe others will chime in :) Thanks again!
Thanks Xyld. This will be my first (non-practice) Roll20 campaign, so I still have MUCH to learn. I love how helpful and friendly this community is! Thanks folks!
Gid
Roll20 Team
I'd also try to save the image(s) down to a jpg with higher compression to decrease file size too.
That's what I'm trying now. It's down to 9.5 MB, but server still timing out. Oh well. Nap, then Plan B.
Gid
Roll20 Team
When you get really close to the maximum allowed file upload size(for Mentors it's 10MB), it might fizzle out on the upload.
Kristin C. said: When you get really close to the maximum allowed file upload size(for Mentors it's 10MB), it might fizzle out on the upload. roger...
You'll save yourself a lot of headache if you split the map into four cropped pieces, upload them separately, and line them up so they *appear* as one large image. Web-based systems in general don't do well when dealing with large individual files.
Mark G. said: You'll save yourself a lot of headache if you split the map into four cropped pieces, upload them separately, and line them up so they *appear* as one large image. Web-based systems in general don't do well when dealing with large individual files. Thanks. Over complication... story of my life. Don't know why Men, but you got it to sink in. I greatly appreciate all the input from everyone. Thanks for helping us old school noobs get used to this amazing digital world ;)
Hah, I still use MS Paint for a lot of this, dude :)