Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Character-linked Tokens not updating

Edited 1519057927
Hi, I'm setting up for a game, and one of the things I'd like is for the tokens representing the PCs to have consistent stats across each page (eg, if a PC takes damage and I move to a new page, the PC's token on that page will have the appropriate HP). I thought  that by following  this set of instructions, I would get that result, but it doesn't work that way; when I drag a new token onto a page after a value has been changed, the new token reflects the changed value, but any tokens that existed prior to changing do not. Are there more up-to-date instructions for how to get the result I want, or barring that at least a way to force a token to check the character attributes and update? Thanks for the help! EDIT: It looks like it's because I was using a Macro for causing damage; if I interact directly with the token's bubbles it works fine. I'll post in the Macro sub about fixing my Macro. Thanks!
could you also post a link to that post in this post as well? I'm interested in creating this exact type of Macro myself
It turns out that the problem is that you need to change attributes for it to match between pages, and you can't do that with Macros unless you use APIs. If you're pro, ChatSetAttr is a good script for it. After fiddling with things a bit, this is the Macro I use (I use bar 2 for HP); !modattr --sel --HITPOINTS|?{Action|Damage, -|Gain, +|, - }?{HP±|0} !token-mod --set bar2_value|[[@{selected|bar2}?{Action|Damage, - |Heal, + |, - }?{HP±|0}]] **@{selected|token_name}** **HP:** @{selected|bar2}?{Action|Damage, - |Heal, + |, - }?{HP±|0} → [[@{selected|bar2}?{Action|Damage, - |Heal, + |, - }?{HP±|0}]]
You skipped the step in the guide where you update the default token for the character AFTER completely setting up the token. So you need to set the represents on the token, link any attributes, set up vision/auras, THEN set the token as the default for the character.
is there a way to modify the stats without going Pro though? like, if I wanted to modify @{selected|hp} or @{selected|hp|max} (HP or HP Max of Selected Token), using the above example: !modattr --sel --HITPOINTS|?{Action|Damage, -|Gain, +|, - }?{HP±|0} !token-mod --set bar2_value|[[@{selected|bar2}?{Action|Damage, - |Heal, + |, - }?{HP±|0}]] **@{selected|token_name}** **HP:** @{selected|bar2}?{Action|Damage, - |Heal, + |, - }?{HP±|0} → [[@{selected|bar2}?{Action|Damage, - |Heal, + |, - }?{HP±|0}]] all I manage to get i a Chat readout of what should be done, but it doesn't actually adjust it. (I tested it out on my Sorcery Points) I'm thinking maybe it would need to use something like: !modattr (@{selected|hp})?{Action|Lose,-|Gain,+}(?{Value|0}) If I can achieve this function, the Token should adjust it's self. Any help would be great, I'm not overly familiar with the Roll20 Systems.
!modattr is part of ChatSetAttr, which is a script using the API and therefore a pro-only thing, I'm afraid. Sorry. The only part of that block that would work without Pro is the chat output; the other two lines rely on scripts. @Kyle G: No, I followed it to the letter multiple times; my issue came from trying to use a macro that only changed the bar value. I have since gotten the Macro to work thanks to ChatSetAttr.