Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Help needed: Abusive player

Hi all, I wonder if there is any way that action can be taken against abusive players. I ran a one shot today and everyone within the game was fantastic, however a player signed up last night and decided overnight that he didn't want to play. I received a vile message from him via Facebook. I had posted in the game forums that my son (10 years old) has Leukaemia and as such there might be a risk that I'd have to cancel the game at short notice. The Facebook message I woke up to this morning said that he wasn't playing in the game any more and that I was the reason my son had cancer. He was challenged about this via other members of a Facebook group we are mutually members of where he went on to suggest that it would be a good thing if my son died because it would "improve the gene pool". I don't have his roll20 username to hand because it would appear that leaving the game also deletes chat entries. I also appreciate that the abuse happened on Facebook but this was a case of a Roll20 player viciously abusing the DM of a game. If I spoke like that to someone on social media there's a good chance I'd lose my job, despite the fact that the abuse did not take place on a work network. I have evidence in screenshot format. I won't post it here but I can submit it if required. Can anyone advise. I'm horrified. It rankles more because as a DM you put the work and the time in to provide a free service for the enjoyment of others. Many thanks, Mark
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Contact the devs at <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a>. They will need the Roll20 user name to do anything about it. You might try viewing your profile; there's a list there of about ten names that is your recent played with. Also, I'm sorry that you had to deal with such a horrible situation, and I hope that your son is doing ok with the treatments.
Ah, interesting. The username is Lin. Although he's hardly a hardcore Roll20 user.
I wonder if maybe a player rating system could be created so that good players can get points to show they are not human garbage.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The devs have addressed it before. They haven't come up with a system that can't be easily abused. So, instead,they handle issues like this as they crop up.
Sorry for your experience.. more power to the kid for going through treatments and best wishes.

Edited 1520268429
There needs to be some kind of quality marker for DMs and players. All I was doing was arranging a 4 player one-shot game for UK mid-morning. Should have been easy enough given it was 5e. Not only did I encounter this disgusting piece of filth, I also had to wade my way through a wide range of players who clearly didn't read the brief and realise that the game started in the middle of the night their time - at which point they backed out. I even had a 15 year old kid who told me he was 51. How he expected to maintain that in-game I'll never know :D I appreciate there's a shortage of DMs so game application threads get over subscribed but there needs to be a solid means of sorting out the time wasters and the trolls.
lol if it was PF you were runnin I'd be all over it, am from the US but am a nocturnal.
Unfortunately, I doubt the admins can do anything as the abuse happened outside of their platform and records. Even if the usernames are the same on Roll20 and Facebook, how can you prove the person using that name on Facebook is the same person here on Roll20? Although, if a person was saying things like that on Facebook, I'm sure there's a way to report them there.
Yeah, ultimately trying to get any kind of accountability for an abusive user is pretty much hopeless these days. If they use free services then they can easily pop up with a new account days later. I also appreciate that this happened on Facebook but it didn't happen in isolation. They took information provided here for my players and used it against me on a different platform, as well as Discord. What bothers me more is that I thought this was a community with some kind of unspoken rules about what is right and decent. I'm no angel. We all kick off from time to time and say things we later regret but wishing the death of someone's kid who has cancer is as low as I've seen any community go.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
As others have said, please email <a href="mailto:team@roll20.net" rel="nofollow">team@roll20.net</a> with all the information you have available to you so the Devs can deal with this.&nbsp; As this will be handled via email, I will close this thread (and move it out of LFG and over to Specific Use)