Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Calling Attributes Without a Million Macros

I'm trying to make something that does what this looks like it should do: /roll @{?{Skill Name|Athletics}} I have an extensive skill list under Attributes. One of them is called, say, Athletics, and its value is 3d6+1. I want the above to be an ability where one types in the name of the ability they want to roll so I don't have to make a huge list of macros in addition to the attribute list.
You can't really use a query to prompt the end-user for the name of a variable; it only queries for values. What I frequently do is clump similar skills together into just a few macros, to cut down on the number of click-able buttons on the screen. Ex: Athletics /me rolls his shoulders and prepares for a feat of ATHLETICS! Acrobatics:[[1d20 + 10]] Jump:[[1d20+3]] Climb:[[1d20+8]] Swim:[[1d20+7]] Ride:[[1d20+3]]
Cool. I think I'll make a "Skill Lookup" Macro and just let them roll based on the output
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What you can do, if you have a lot of abilities, is type % in the chat bar - this will show a popup listing all the abilities. If you start typing, like "%Ac" it will show all abilities that start with Ac, like acrobatics. Select the one you want and click tab to choose it.