Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Looking for an elegant way to display a "global" variable.

I'm setting up a new game where there is a target number that the players need to roll against which changes based on how many crits or fumbles take place during the adventure.  Currently I am doing this with a token controlled by all players where bar one is set to a custom attribute.  Players can currently click on this to see the number in the bubble if they want to check on the current target (or one of the other bubbles to see the current number of crits/fumbles).   This works acceptably, but feels kludgey.  Does anybody have any ideas of a more elegant way to do this without using the API?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
That actually seems like a nice trick.  Do you use a global macro to display the numbers to chat, and/or roll vs the current target number?  Maybe display the current target, crit and fumble tally and include a chat menu button that player's can roll vs target directly from chat? Some other options that aren't very interactive; Write the target number(and/or crits) directly on the vtt. Use a token(s) as a roll-able table of images. Place on the vtt and cycle through the images as needed to display the current target number.

Edited 1521571834
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You can use an entry in the Turn Tracker.  Add a Custom Turn entry with a unique name like TargetNumber and give it the right value, then you can reference it with @{tracker|TargetNumber} wherever.  Referencing Turn values works for tokens to, so if you made a token named TargetNumber and added it to the tracker with some value (assuming you have it selected): Adding TargetNumber [[ 10 &{tracker} ]] Then you could select it adjust it similarly by selecting the token again and doing something like: [[ 1 &{tracker:+} ]] [[ 1 &{tracker:-} ]] That's where I'd go without the API. =D Also, this works even when the Turn Order isn't up.
Wow some really great ideas!  That rollable table seems to be exactly the thing i was looking cking for.   Thanks friends!
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
If the target number is in the range of d4, d6, d8, d10, d12 or d20, you can use /roll 1dX then drag the dice image on the map to create a Rollable Table token of images from 1 to X.