Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Who keeps closing my LFG threads??

So I run one-shot games (The Color Animal Inn) and post in LFG, the day of, looking for players. Generally get a pretty good response. When the game is full, I post the fact. Game closed, so don't sign up. But sometimes, some of the players don't show up, and I have room for another one or two. And sometimes, after the game, I want to post a future date, or perhaps a quick run-down of what happened, or just say thanks to the players. But SOMEONE keeps coming in and closing the threads! When that happens, I can't make any changes at all to the thread... MY thread... that I might want to access. I can't go back and EDIT previous posts. Made by me. Heck, I can't even DELETE the thread anymore, and that's the one that really bothers me. What if I just want it GONE? This should be my choice. And it's being taken away from me! WHO is doing this, and WHY do they think they can close MY thread? Do I have to worry about my threads just up and being closed without warning or explanation? DO I have to worry about my threads being deleted entirely? Please stop this practice. It's rude, unfair, and unprofessional. Thank you. -Phnord, owner of The Color Animal Inn, for many years now.

Edited 1523711912
Bast L.
API Scripter
I'm just guessing, but I thought they did it as a sort of flag/service to make it clear from the forum view, letting players avoid clicking on a closed game. It would be nice if we could set various flags on our lfg posts, and search for similar, like game system, LFG, LFP, time zone, day, closed, open.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
That would be me, the forum janitor.  In short, if someone announces their game is full, I close the thread because that is not something users can do for themselves.  I only close the thread if someone announces their game is full and doesn't use language to indicate they're collecting more applications in the thread. Bast L., what you're referring to is covered by the LFG Tool :)
Hey GK. Thought it might have been you.  Closing a full thread makes sense, yes. I can see that. But it IS something users can do by themselves... by deleting the first post, as I've done in the past. This makes it so anyone who saved the thread somehow can still access it, but nothing new can be posted AND the thread is no longer visible in the LFG forum. The user also, then, has the option to un-delete the thread. However, once a Mod like yourself closes the thread, in the manner you did so, ALL of the original posters rights are stripped away. As I said, I can now no longer edit or delete any posts. Including removing the thread entirely. Or removing links. Or anything, really. I appreciate the need to de-clutter the forum. I appreciate the desire to indicate to readers that there may not be any reason to read the thread. What I do not appreciate is having ALL control being stripped away from the creator of the post. Perhaps this is a shortcoming in the way the forums themselves work. I know you well enough to know this wasn't done out of malice. And I seriously doubt the system was deliberately set up this way, out of malice. It just rankles me to have my autonomy removed in this manner (or any manner, really.) Perhaps it's possible to develop another way than this to indicate that someone might not want to read a forum post. I just don't think permanently stripping one's ability to alter their own content is the way to go about it. Maybe if the user could edit the thread title, to indicate (externally) that the post within is no longer 'worth visiting', that could help? Of course, this brings up other issues, and should properly be discussed in the Suggestions forum. To clarify, my issue is not why what was done, was done, but rather that what was done took all control away from me, the creator of the thread. I appreciate your help, but I can do it myself, if I wish to, and retain the ability to un-do it, if I wish. And just for the record, I have had this exact situation in the past, where I posted a game being closed, then had to go back and re-open the game to find more players. The alternative, in this situation, would have been to make a second brand-new post with the same information in it, which would have cluttered the forums even more. Please reconsider this policy! Thank you -Phnord, owner and proprietor of The Color Animal Inn
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Users can't edit their titles, either.  There's a lot of tweaks users would like to see to the forum software (there's a lot of tweaks I'd like to see to the forum software), the bulk of what you discuss here is material for the Suggestion forum, so you get the Suggestions spiel*. I'm not sure what specific policy you wish for me to reconsider, but this is a topic best handled in PMs :) *Suggestions spiel: For your suggestions, we offer the Suggestions & Ideas forum, which is based on voting from the whole community.  Please review our Forum Voting wiki page for more information on how voting works, and our Posting to Suggestions & Ideas section of the Code of Conduct .  As this is a suggestion thread outside the designated forum, this thread will be closed.