Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Transparent token

I made a transparent token that when I drag it onto the VTT it is invisible (yea me!).  However, when I add it into a rollable table and switch to it using multi sided, it comes onto the VTT as a white token.  Why would it be white (opaque) from a rollable table, and yet invisible (transparent) when pulled directly to the VTT from my library?
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
I just tried to replicate your problem with a Rollable Table, a Transparent PNG image, and a Faceplate PNG image. The token created with the Token button on the Rollable Table appeared on the map with the Transparent image selected, and it was invisible, not a white token. I usually create Transparent tokens with an Aura visible to the GM so I can see them on the map.
Is it possible the token is tinted white?  If any side of a rollable token is tinted, every side is.
ahhh, I hadn't thought of that.  I'll see if there's a way to figure it out.
When you click on the token, the gear icon appears.  (If it doesn't, right click and click on Advanced>Is Drawing.)  Click on the gear.  In the Edit Token window, bottom left, is the Tint Color box.  Click on it to open the tint palette and choose the checkered one in the lower right corner that represents transparent/no-tint. There is a way to set this in game settings, so if you find your tokens all get created with a tint, it might be a choice made there.
Wow, thanks Val.  That's awesome!
Ok, soooo I went into various tokens and they are ALL white tinted.  That's the default it looks like.  No matter how many times I selected the lower right no-tint and saved the token.  Everytime I pull it out again it is always white tinted.  What am I missing here?  How do I get it to stay that way?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Sounds like an issue in Token Defaults on the Game Settings page.
Just checked the game settings page and it actually shows the transparent box as the default for tokens in that game.  So we have ruled that out as the culprit.  For every token that I open in game, the tint ALWAYS shows white.  In every game I have ever created.  Granted, I had never changed it up to this point, but since I have this campaign set to transparent and all tokens still have white tint, that tells me that it may have something to do with something else that I have no idea which is why I don't know what I'm doing .......... :-)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Maybe try changing the default to something other than transparent and white, then save it, and then create a new token and see if it has the new tint. If it does, go back to token settings and change to transparent, and see if the new setting sticks when you create a new token. Any setting change will only apply to tokens created after the settings are changed, so you'll have to modify existing tokens. Luckily, you're a pro user, and tokenmod makes that easy.  If the above doesn't work, could you be running some other script that is altering the tint? There's a Health Aura/tint (cant remember exact name) script that applies a tint whenever you drag a token into the map, for instance, if you don't edit the code to stop it happening.
My bad.  As I started looking at it, even though the tint box shows a white color, it actually IS set to transparent.  It's just that the tint box shows white color for "white" AND "transparent".  So yes, all my tokens are set to transparent tint.  I tried setting it to white and it DEFINITELY is different than transparent.  So my game settings are all tokens transparent tint. but a transparent background .png file that is part of a rollable table shows as white on my VTT, but shows as invisible (transparent) when I pull it to the VTT normally.  I don't know how aura/health might be affecting this because it is set to not use tint.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Confusingly, the "not use tint" setting on aura/health is for a different thing. It doesn't stop the Health Aura script from changing the tint of tokens added to the board. is your player colour on your cam set to white? If so, try changing it to a different colour. Then add a new token to the map. If this token is tinted the new colour, your problem is the aura/health script. I had this exact issue, and it took me a bit of hair pulling to figure it out. If this is your issue, the way to fix it is here: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6217319/health-slash-aura-tint-colors-wrong/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6217319/health-slash-aura-tint-colors-wrong/</a>