Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Do you need a general D20 Roll Macro? This is a great first macro for new DMs.

Edited 1391726555
(I haven't seen a macro like this anywhere, sorry if it has been posted before) This Macro just rolls a d20 and asks for an emote, bonus, and penalty. Just make a new Macro in the Settings tab, name it, and enter; /me ?{Emote?|rolls the die!} /roll d20 +?{Bonuses?|0} -?{Penalties?|0} This is much easier for players instead of typing /roll d20, or using the die tool.
I like it, the emote prompt is a nice touch. However, the bonuses/penalties thing is kind of redundant; you can simply use a negative number to represent a penalty. Here's the one I made a while back, not quite as fancy as yours: Useful Macros
thanks, I think I seen your macro before. The only reason I have separated bonus and penalty is because it's easier for new players. We can clearly see the numbers in the roll log.
You could actually type in "4-7" into the Bonus box to represent penalties. Or just "-3". It results in a +-3 in the end, but it gets recognized correctly.
As wonderfully awesomely convenient it is having a VTT add your stuff up, for completely new players (never played a TT RPG before) I'll always have them roll a straight D20 and add up their bonus' manually so they build an understanding of how the numbers work. I used to do the same when teaching; show them how to do it manually first, then show the shortcuts. Once folks can do it manually, then we start automating.