Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New to API access

Edited 1391877433
So, as a newly empowered supporter level Roll20 user am I right in suspecting that I can now use the API to get some cool functions in my VT? I think the answer is yes but that first question is to make sure. Ok so, ignore the rest of this if the answer above was no ... but please tell me why it's no. So I came to this forum expecting to see as the very first thing a sticky thread entitled, "Using the API, a few complete examples". And, ... there isn't one. So now I can flounder about reading thread after thread where folks discuss random things about the API or I can simply ask in my own thread - Hey, I'm new to the API in every way. I want to include scripts like autoinitiative and dynamic lighting and such, but, frankly, I have zero idea how to connect scripts to my Roll20 campaigns, nor how to access them via function calls after they are 'staged/installed/whatever'. So how do I- a) Connect a script to my campaign b) Use it once its connected PS I expected to see something turn on in settings or somewhere in the environment when the level changed that would be like a view to existing API functions and a checkbox saying - yep i want that - use it. Along with that there would be a brief explanation of how to call those functions. Now I did look, but I found nothing new.

Edited 1391878963
Stephen S.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Sheet Author
API Scripter
<a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Introduction" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/API:Introduction</a> I would start there... I was in the same place you are but one you "get it" API is set up really nicely on Roll20.
Thanks, now I am reading again. That looks like some of what I was after. Should really help!
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
Unfortunately you need to be mentor to get access to the API. :( But once you are and if you like coding then its lots of fun. Its almost only limited by your imagination what you can do with scripts.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
series0 said: PS I expected to see something turn on in settings or somewhere in the environment when the level changed that would be like a view to existing API functions and a checkbox saying - yep i want that - use it. Along with that there would be a brief explanation of how to call those functions. Now I did look, but I found nothing new. That would be because you are a Supporter level subscriber, not a Mentor level subscriber. Supporters get access to things like Dynamic Lighting, but you have to be a Mentor for the API.