Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Character Sheets: Make Google Webfonts Available for Use

Google Webfonts are a great free way to add some style to our sheets, but aren't supported. Some of us have added them into our character sheets in the past with a workaround, but the font-face method has inconsistent results in different browsers and is prone to breaking.  My suggestion would be to either allow developers to include Google Webfonts in their sheets by either: Allowing @import rules that reference a fonts.googleapis.com URL in the sheet's CSS... Allowing a link to the fonts.googleapis.com stylesheet in the character sheet's HTML Providing a drop-down selection within campaign settings that can be referenced back in the sheet's CSS, and which will fallback to system fonts if not selected (this one would seem to be the easiest to implement, and allow for the sheets to keep the same level of security) Some other method of adding these to the sheet's HTML? Thoughts? Thanks for looking.
I like this idea, but I would love for Roll20 to be able to host fonts on its own as well or instead.
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
In particular, fonts need to be loaded over https. Since they're not, currently, a remote font gets blocked by the browser's security features until the user unblocks it.
Alicia
Sheet Author
If I had votes I would +1 this for sure.
John B
Pro
Sheet Author
Google has such a great selection of fonts and it could improve game flavor for character sheets and for roll able tables. &nbsp; I suspect most players aren't aware of what they could be viewing. Check them out. &nbsp;Huge selection that authors could use and then upvote this. &nbsp;I suspect some type of workaround like a job that pulls in these fonts into roll20 so that they are all available might be an easy work around if getting imports is challenging. &nbsp; <a href="https://fonts.google.com/" rel="nofollow">https://fonts.google.com/</a>

Edited 1498888883
This is a no-brainer. I'd love to see this, too. Maybe give us the ability to upload .ttf files to the library, and have the sheets be able to access them?
Voted. Rapidly switching between fonts when adding text to maps means that you can see that there's a Times New Roman font used as default, yet it cannot be selected as a font type. Given that I'm running a Classical World campaign, it would be useful if I had the option to select it!
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Yes, please! Being restricted to web-safe fonts and the handful of fonts that Roll20 offers means that there's a real lost opportunity for more beautiful character sheets. Most of it could be solved by adding a security certificate so that fonts are loaded without a browser warning...
Axel
Pro
Sheet Author
Please give us more fonts! Pretty please?
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Got my vote, because I want to have a pretty sheet for when I start running demo games of "The Fading Light"
Glad I’m not the only one necro’ing this request because it’s still needed. Please upvote or add comment if it’s a feature you need. &nbsp;Thankyou!

Edited 1517398373
Yeah another bump for this. I posted a help thread about this very thing 5 months ago. I'm working on a new sheet ( one for the 40k Universe) , and it's super important that the styling for the fonts looks right. I'm basically making images with text in photoshop to get the grim-dark theme right, but that's a pain because of I get the size wrong or want to experiment with different sizes I have to make all new images.&nbsp; Being able to include something which is clearly safe like google API fonts is a huge plus. Currently i load images into the charactersheet by making use of the fact that roll20 hosts it's own images. I just upload files and get the paths from the code there. I suspect something similar could be done without to much effort for fonts that would be both secure and stable, the way images are.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
The funny part is that you don't actually have to host character sheet images on roll20, only images for tokens/avatars have to come from a Roll20 source. Images in chat messages, or in the character sheets themselves can come from anywhere in the net, so it's not even really a security thing (or rather there's already a huge hole in the VTT security)
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Scott C. said: The funny part is that you don't actually have to host character sheet images on roll20, only images for tokens/avatars have to come from a Roll20 source. Images in chat messages, or in the character sheets themselves can come from anywhere in the net, so it's not even really a security thing (or rather there's already a huge hole in the VTT security) Externally-linked assets (including both images and fonts) get piped through a Roll20 image proxy. Presumably this proxy will guard against attacks through these vectors. However, the proxy is using http instead of https, which causes the browser to reject the font on the https tabletop page.
There should be no excuse to "not" HTTPS with the advant of let's encrypt.
Thanks everyone for keeping this suggestion alive! I still think it's probably the easiest suggestion to implement relative to the immediate impact it would have on people's games. And it would really help our sheets (and by extension Roll20) look "Pro"!
I just prefer local hosting generally, because then I don't need to pay for another service, or find a free one where I don't blow out the limits on hot-linked stuff. Either support for google fonts, or someway of uploading my own fonts would both solve this problem, and it definately seems like low hanging fruit that could make character sheets look and feel way better.&nbsp;
Definitely.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There's no reason in 2018 not to have their image proxy use HTTPS. Let's keep this suggestion alive.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
If only I had more than one vote to give.
Scott C. said: If only I had more than one vote to give. Here, I'll loan you one of mine.
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Two-monthly bump. PLEASE implement this: it's easy to do for great gains, even though most users are not aware of the limitations.
Tim
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
This is a really great idea. Yes please! (also, I have my own font suggestion for the text tool&nbsp; over here )
Yes please! I'm stuck with a sheet that looks great for mac users, but windows users can't stand it because there's nothing native to the windows fonts that's condensed enough to be right, but google fonts supply many solid options
Eric
Sheet Author
Super upvote, this is critical.
Thanks again to everyone for keeping this request alive! Please share with any players/sheet authors that you know... Thanks! @Tim This is a really great idea. Yes please! (also, I have my own font suggestion for the text tool over here ) upvoted!
+1
Eric
Sheet Author
Ryan S. said: Thanks again to everyone for keeping this request alive! Please share with any players/sheet authors that you know... Thanks! @Tim This is a really great idea. Yes please! (also, I have my own font suggestion for the text tool over here ) upvoted! Great idea. Double upvote.
Definitely!
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Two-monthly bump. This is crucial for better character sheets, and come on , it's really not hard to make your image proxy HTTPS-enabled!
Please implement this.
I'm a formatting fanatic, so a big upvote from me!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
+1
+1 To this request.
Please please please make this happen folks. I need a condensed font for Windows users that isn't Impact.&nbsp;
Hey everyone! We're approaching the 2nd anniversary of this suggestion with no idea if we're any closer to this implementation. I feel like any suggestion that is driven by sheet authors is naturally going to get fewer votes than ones that are addressing immediate player needs (though I feel like this one would benefit players the most). Therefore, I have a request: &nbsp; If anyone on this thread could share with their group(s) and have those players come here and vote , that could help get us noticed. Also, if you are part of any social-media groups please share there as well! With more competition coming towards Roll20 every, I really think little things like aesthetics are going to keep people on the platform. Thanks everyone!!! Oh, also I shared this a bit ago on the Roll20 Reddit (tho I suppose I should have shared that here for help up-voting):&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comments/8zell7/request_feature_suggestion_for_character_sheets/" rel="nofollow">https://www.reddit.com/r/Roll20/comments/8zell7/request_feature_suggestion_for_character_sheets/</a>
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Bump
Missingquery
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Bump! There's no reason why this shouldn't be added yet at this point.
+1!
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Bump. Again. The fact that this hasn't even gotten a response speaks very clearly about what Roll20 thinks about their sheet author community.
Great idea love it
Hey all, thanks again for keeping this suggestion alive! I recently noticed that the mods added a goal to posting guidelines: " As Suggestions approach 200 votes, the Dev Team will comment and categorize them. " Previously there was no indication of when/if the Dev Team would acknowledge a Suggestion, so this is good and gives us a target (I also have no idea when this was added, as the last time I checked that post was at least a year ago). So: I know I've asked this before, but if there's anything&nbsp;you can do to get the word out to other players and to bump our votes to 200, please do it!!!&nbsp;&nbsp; Hit up your player groups, your social media, your grandma... anyone who you think might be interested in getting us to that number. And THANKS!
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Have a vote. ;-)
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
W00T, finally queued!&nbsp;
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Hooray!!!
Spren
Sheet Author
So desperately needed. Thanks for adding it to the queue. Hopefully we'll see it implemented sooner rather than later.
This would be a fabulous addition to everyone's character sheets!
+1 vote for this pls
Yes please, this would be a godsend. +1 vote.
Spren
Sheet Author
Queued for 6 months. Sigh... an update would be nice.