Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Curious About Rotation (Unit Circle Flipped Over Y-Axis)

So I was dealing with ship helm command buttons to turn a ship, and getting bothered by the backwards rotation. I'm just wondering, is there a reason it's clockwise? There are some unintuitive things that make sense, like having increasing y (or "top") value as you go down the page, but I just don't see the reasoning for reversing the rotation direction. It's not that it's unworkable or anything, but it is odd. Does anyone have insights into this?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Clockwise probably makes more sense to people that aren't mathy.  I imagine it has to do with what the angle property represents in fabric.js.  I'm not sure why they chose whatever coordinate system they did, but if it's left-hand (which is pretty common in computer graphics), positive rotation around the axis coincident with the normal of the screen would be clockwise.
I guess it is left handed, if we think of "top" as the y value. Unity also uses a left-handed coordinate system IIRC. I think Unreal is right-handed.