Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Resizing tokens removes center alignment. we need SNAP TO CENTER option!

Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
I know this issue has been brought up before, a year ago, or more, but it needs to be repeated. When I have a token that is of inappropriate size or shape for my game, I resize it and the grid alignment is messed up. I don't want to have to hold ALT every time I position it during combat, nor do I want to set as artwork, which removes the token functions. Suggestion: enable a "SNAP TO CENTER" option on individual tokens, so if I DO need to resize or reshape something manually and have it stay a useful token, I can do so. Thanks roll20! I LOVE YOU!
Keith
Pro
Marketplace Creator
+1
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
If I understand the problem correctly then there is a trick. You can pad the token with transparent space so that it sits where you want it to on the grid. Its not perfect, but does work very well. I've done this with cone effects and line effects I want to rotate on one end, not around the centre. If you need some help with it give me an example of a token you are having problems with and what size you want it to be and I'll show you what might be done. But I agree snap to centre would be useful as well as rotate on any midpoint of a token so I can start playing some of the wargames I haven't played in years!
Tip: If you're using a web-based token that's the wrong size, you can resize it, set it as the default token for the character sheet, and the resizing should remain constant when you drag the character sheet onto the map thereafter. If the token is a weird shape like a guy holding an extended polearm or something, you'll have to pad the edges as Konrad said, using an image program or TokenTool (a stripped image program specifically for VTT tokens). However, you'll still have to resize it, and the token's hitbox will be much larger, as will its bars.
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Well, from spending a billion hours making my own tokens a peices for my battletech table, I am aware that a program like gimp can resize transparent images (with some trouble) but to be honest, I don't really want to have to do that, especially with tokens I paid for on the marketplace, i.e. devin knight's kobolds. I'd rather spend my time designing new encounters. Thanks for the tips though guys!
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
After a few minutes of monkeying with gimp, i rediscovered how to resize, recenter and so on. Takes about 12 seconds per token. As a bonus, I discovered that you can slice off weapons and paste on weapons, decorate armor and all that good stuff. Made myself some modified versions of the tokens I was resizing and they look great! I guess resaving the tokens myself from gimp turned out to be a good thing :)
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
You can even make nice little bases on them if you like them to all have bases. I haven't decided if I like it or not. Sometimes overhead tokens can be hard to see through all the dungeon flooring, etc. so adding a base makes it easier. And you can colour the bases. Good guys vs bad guys, etc. About a year ago I was trying them out like this test...