Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Opening Doors? Dynamic Lighting

Hello there, I am curious to hear whether there is a smart way to handle dynamic lighting and doors. I usually set my the game to "Players can only move to a square they can see". That combined with doors is always problematic. I don't want my players to see through unopened doors, but either I move their tokens into the room behind it manually or I go to the Lighting-Layer and remove the line that represents the door. Both seem to be problematic. Sadly, on the Lighting-Layer, tokens do not block light/sight. So I cannot just make a script that removes the token when I enter a command or click specific place. How do you solve this?

Edited 1529250196
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
There are several door-handling scripts. My favorite is SimpleDoorControls , written by Three of Swords. Some people prefer Matt's Door Script , but I prefer the former for its "Does one thing and does it well" Approach. Both have the same basic approach. You link a door open image, a door closed image, and a bit of Dynamic Lighting line. The script shuffle them around between layers to swap the opened and closed door images from the Map Layer to the GM Layer, and doing similar with the DL line. Since maps often come with baked-in door images, I frequently use an Invisible Token for the door images, with a red GM-only aura to indicate a closed door and a green one to indicate an open door. I know at a glance whether any given door is opened or closed by the color of the token aura, but the players only see that they can or cannot see through the map's door image. I have told them that if they can see what's beyond, then it's open, regardless of what shows on the map. Give either one a try.

Edited 1529300484
+1 for SimpleDoorControls. Using it in my current campaign. Works a treat with dynamic lighting, and with some creativity can be used with secret doors, lever positions, etc.