Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Making mist!

Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Heya guys, I've been wanting to make a map that's shrouded in mist for my next play session. The easy part is spreading a semi-transparent tile over my whole map. It makes it look misty, no problem. The problem is that your characters are blindingly un-misty on top of the map, and there's no way to move your tokens with the mist on top of them. My solution was to create misty-tokens for my player characters and the monsters in the encounter. They sit atop the map layer, but since they're colored misty-like, they look like they're under the fog. I used gimp to lay a transparent gradient over the token, then cut it out and exported. Voila, it's mist!! Now I'll just diminish the light range for torches and make a dimness radius for the atmospheric exploration of the haunted moor! Not sure if anyone else out there was looking for this, but feel free to msg me for more detailed how-to, if you want!
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
Looks very cool! I wss wondering if you'd tried using the Roll29 tint feature on the original tokens to make them a little less "bright"? It might be an easier way for GMs who aren't familiar with graphics programs or when they find themselves pressed for time? Just wondering how it looks in comparison to your more impressive sokuti
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Well damnit, it looks just as good! Haha!
That does look pretty cool, I could see the technique being useful for underwater adventuring too.
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Ooh, sweet idea! This was just a quick gimp transparency, I think it could be cooler if I throw in some swirling effects, possibly just using the eraser. A different pattern of erasing could make underwater happen well also.
PaulOoshun
Marketplace Creator
As an idea for swirling mist or water I was thinking a larger area map which is fairly transparent over the map layer and moving it slightly esch turn to simulate the swirling, changing landscape
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
I acually thought of that too, but it'd obviously only work while the DM was doing it. Maybe nice just for a little narration where the players are in the fog or rain and it appears to be moving past. Good idea!
Konrad J.
Pro
API Scripter
I'm making a script to change the graphic of a token easily. It could be altered to change a whole groups token graphics. Then you are using the same token, just doing a command to change the token's graphics to the misty type.
This could also be used to make it seem like its night time as well, great idea.
Oh that's awesome. I really hope they make it so you can set the dynamic lighting/fog of war color so you could make it a grey steel instead of black to complete the effect!
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Aaron D. said: This could also be used to make it seem like its night time as well, great idea. I frequently use Roll20's color overlay to create a 'nighttime' feel on a daytime-colored map. More fun with the color overlay: In my last session, one of the PCs had a bucket of pink paint dumped on him. Pink overlay time~!