Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Historical token packs

Edited 1521279623
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Greetings to roll20 community!  Its been a long time since my last post, but it doesnt mean that im done with my packs. For months i worked on some remasters of my old packs and here is one of them -  france vs germany ww1 token pack. Its already submitted on roll20 and it is huge - 147 tokens are present. We need to wait a little to see this remaster appear on marketplace. Those who have already bought this pack will soon see differences in their libraries without the need of repurchasing it.  To do list:  Remaster the rest of my packs. ( 1 ,  2 ,  3 ) (10% done) Draw russians, italians, austro-hungarians and americans. (15% done) Draw vehicles of WW1 including field guns, armored cars, tanks and aircraft with their crews (40% done) Draw WW2 vehicles with their crews.  Make some war-themed maps and tiles. No-mans land of Flanders, Galicia and more. (20% done).  Draw cold war, vietnam war and modern military themed packs. Stay tuned! I will post updates more frequently this time. Feedback is highly apreciated!
David
Sheet Author
Very  nice, good to see some non  pop culture fantasy tokens.
Gold
Forum Champion
I like the To-Do list. Ambitious plans to stick to the military gaming genre and fill it in systematically. Following your progress and will use these when I have a war game!
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
"The download link will still have the old tokens for up to a week, but once that clears it will download all of the new ones when someone clicks it." It is from roll20 staff, so dont try to download this pack yet, wait for some time. 
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Did you ever finish the German Fallschirmjagers? I am SO looking forward to those! How about the remake of the Eastern Front tokens with their weapons pointing forward (as we had discussed in a private message)? Great to-do list, I hope you are able to do this. Excellent queslity for sure.
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Im still working on it. Progress will be posted here soon. Its a huge work to do. 
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes I am sure it is. I shal wait patiently for it as I knwo it will be worth it.
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Some work in progress on my imperial russian army tokens. WW2 remastered soviets and germans (including Fallschirmjagers) are coming soon. Stay tuned for updates. 
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Please remember that for GURPS facing is everything,. So the more the weapon points 'forward' the better the token for me.

Edited 1521655280
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
This is how Fallschirmjagers will look like. Work in progress. 
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Fantastic - thanks Grantovich!
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Im working on a remaster of ww1 brits right now - old pack is being highly outdated by my tastes so here is some work in progress. 
wow! good work!
Devin N.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Those are awesome.

Edited 1523468351
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Just reworked my old vickers gun, its much more realistic and detailed right now. Based on Hirem Maxims design, this piece of machinery was a living nightmare of WW1 battlefields together with other MGs of that time. Single well-placed machine gun could stop an advance of a full sized infantry battalion in trench warfare conditions. Vickers gun was so reliable that it was capable of a week of continious, uniterrupted shooting without a single jam or malfunction during tests - it was a very robust weapon that continued his service during the second world war until its retirement in 1950-s.  Its time to introduce some cavalry units in my packs. British Expeditionary Force used cavalry extensevely during early months of the Great War until they faced modern artillery and machine guns. Cavalry was the most conservative and glamorous branch of british military, cosisted of young and naive individuals in purple glasses together with old officers whose views on the modern war were greatly outdated. Cavalry were quickly expelled in its traditional role and became unadequate in trench warfare conditions.   Lewis gun was one of the first succesfull light machine guns in the world, capable of sustained, fully automatic fire for a long period of time without malfunctions in the dirt of the trenches. This gun was quite expensive but its firepower and reliability worth it. Germans were in urgent need of a competitor for this gun because infantry sections could traverse the battlefield much easier with fire and maneuver - lewis gun provided excellent and mobile covering fire for advancing troops. So the germans developed MG-08/15, large and cumbersome, water cooled but handheld machine gun that was no match for lewis. As a very succesfull gun, lewis continued its service and saw battles of the second world war until its retirement.  Im still working on remasters of my packs, but at the same time russian empire troops will be released very soon, so stay tuned for updates!

Edited 1525690373
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Huge release is coming! I'm finally done remastering british tokens,  this pack will be replaced with a british-centered pack containing over one hundred tokens representing soldiers in different uniforms with various weapons and equipment. If you already have british empire pack, it will be updated right in your library without the need of repurchasing. Remastered gallipoli-themed pack will be released separately soon, but if you want an old pack for your unfinished campaign, you can  download it for free .  French vs Germans token pack is also have some minor changes regarding proportions of some tokens.  And finally, the brand-new pack is already submitted and will appear on marketplace shortly - doughboys. Americans took part in final months of the Great War and this pack will represent soldiers from 82 "all american" division with their distinctive uniforms and weaponry.  CURRENTLY WIP: WW1 russians, austro-hungarians, italians. Gallipoli campaign tokens remaster. Armor and aviation of WW1 WW1 maps and tiles. WW2 eastern front remastered (huge work to do, but i will show some progress soon) Feedback is highly appreciated as always. Stay tuned for updates!
David
Sheet Author
Fantastic

Edited 1526056182
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Stuff that was anounced in previous post is still being published by roll20 staff so we should wait a bit longer for it, but anyway i have some little bits of new content to showcase.  Yeah, you guessed it right - they are ANZAC soldiers, fully remastered and they will come in very soon for your awesome Dardanelles-themed tabletop session. As always tokens will be represented in different poses (running, prone, with melee weapons, dead and wounded, etc). This pack will include soldiers of the Ottoman empire and saudi rebels right from the arabian revolts.  Stay tuned for updates! 
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Some new stuff that was anounced in previous posts is finally published.  Here they are:  doughboys and  remastered brits. Also my french vs germany pack is slightly patched to fix some issues regarding proportions, but its barely noticable.  Currently i decided to start "operation mercury" pack that will represent some german airborne vs british infantry during the battle of Crete in may 1941. Previous WW2 packs are also being remastered, WW1 tiles and Dardannels packs are close to release, ww1 russians are still WIP.  As always, stay tuned for updates!
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Some WIP of World war 1 tiles pack. It will feature modular tiles which can be used to create trench networks, no man's land desolation tiles (dirt, craters, razor wire), ruins of some buildings, etc. 

Edited 1528642957
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
I have some more WIP stuff to show - just started my remastered eastern front infantry pack: It is a massive work to do but it will worth the wait. Notice how that german guy holding his rifle in one hand when running - this is how german soldiers were trained to run around. Just a small detail to have that authentic feel on tokens.  I will try my best to update this thread each sunday, once in a week - as a school teacher i have a lot of spare time to spend during summer holidays, so stay tuned for some fresh stuff right here. 
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
One thing I have noticed about these top down Tokens, not just yours but many others as well, is they do not contrast well when on the VTT. Large they look great, but when you zoom out a bit on the VTT they have a tendency to bleed into the background and a lot of the detail is lost, especially those with dark uniforms. Just an onservation of mine.
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Mike W. said: One thing I have noticed about these top down Tokens, not just yours but many others as well, is they do not contrast well when on the VTT. Large they look great, but when you zoom out a bit on the VTT they have a tendency to bleed into the background and a lot of the detail is lost, especially those with dark uniforms. Just an onservation of mine. Nice feedback, i will try to fix this issue. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I usually add some drop shadow to mine, either as a spot shadow underneath, or a black Outer Glow... or both.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
I actually get rid of the drop shows if the have them as it tends to also bleed and make the token look a bit muddied. Using my drawing program I usually add some solid colors that stand out. It is just my way. Fantasy characters seem to be ok, it is the uniformed ones that usually have issues.

Edited 1528675472
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Fair enough. Some token styles also work with a strong deadline. (solid black outline line of uniform thickness). Yours are beautiful by the way, Grantovich. I did some spec work for WWII vehicle tokens last year. I am the wrong person for that. The amount of research ate into any potential profits. You sound like you just have the Encyclopedia Military Historia in your head. :)

Edited 1529169829
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Another WIP update - it's ww2 pacific theatre this time. This pack will feature US marines and Imperial japanese army factions. Soldiers will have randomized equipment, different weapons and poses. I have a speedpaint to showoff featuring how i got it done.  Feedback is highly appreciated as always. Stay tuned!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
As always your stuff is quality work. My only concerns are the direction of weapons, using GURPS facing is everything, and the contrast of a Top Down token against the background.
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Mike W. said: As always your stuff is quality work. My only concerns are the direction of weapons, using GURPS facing is everything, and the contrast of a Top Down token against the background. My new packs include soldiers in aiming postures, so you will not have any problems with GURPS facing. Concerning contrasts - i will do something with shadows to solve this issue. 
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Grantovich You are the best!!!!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
BTW One thing I do greatly appreciate with your products is that your tokens face 'up' or 'north'.  This makes it easy to set the 'Has Site' for vision direction on tokens work correctly because Roll20 assume the token is facing 'up'. This has been an issue with Roll20 for some time and a suggestion to offer some setting options has been ignored by Roll20 for years now. I wish other artists woudl chaneg their token 'facings' as well, most have them facing 'down'.

Edited 1529870431
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Another WIP update featuring ANZAC soldiers. ANZAC pack is almost done and will be released soon. It will include ANZAC and british troops in tropical uniforms, ottoman soldiers and rebels from arabian revolts. Please let me know what you think about shadows - they are subject to change. Any other criticisms and suggestions are highly aprecciated too! As always, stay tuned!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Personally I do not like shadows. Perhaps you an release tokens with and without shadows. Otherwise they look great to me.
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Turks are coming! This is WIP on ottoman soldiers. They will be represented in ANZAC pack that is almost done at the moment. I will release it next week in a few days. Feedback is highly appreciated and as always stay tuned for updates!

Edited 1530914626
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
ANOTHER RELEASE IS COMING Australians and New Zeelanders, rejoice! Dardannels-themed token pack is finnaly submitted on Roll20 and will appear on marketplace very soon. It will feature 127 tokens representing ottoman troops, ANZAC and british soldiers and arabian rebel fighters with Lawrence of Arabia himself. This will be a good choice for your Gallipoli or middle east - centered RPG campaign or wargame! Stay tuned for updates!
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Im going to have a 2 week vacation so it will be no progress updates 2 sundays. Saying this just in case someone will think im done with this thread. Stay tuned!
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Gallipoli pack is finally arrived! I'm planning to continue support of my older packs to keep them in line with my growing standards. Change notes will be posted here if something is changed. Stay tuned!
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
Excellent

Edited 1532285524
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
i'm back from my vacation and this means that im back to business.  Currently i'm working on a patch for all of my WW1-themed packs. This patch will fix many issues regarding proportions and will add new postures for use in GURPS. Expect it to be announced tommorow. News about WW2 remasters are coming next week. Stay tuned. 
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
WW1 FRENCH vs GERMANY token pack CHANGE NOTES All tokens has been rescaled to fit GURPS hexes.  Added crouched posture tokens.  Legs on aiming posture tokens has been removed. They are feeling like they actually standing on their feet right now. Much better. Aiming german sniper token is now correct. Added missing gasmask case on all prone 1916 germans.  Added dirt on putties, pants, shoes and greatcoats - they were too clean for a ww1 setting.  Minor fixes regarding proportions and detalizations - tokens will look more polished overall. There is no need to repurchase anything - changes will be seen in your libraries when roll20 staff will replace the old ones.  Next two packs to patch: tommies and doughboys.  Regarding WW2 packs remaster - each faction will be a sepparate pack. WW2 requires much more variety in uniforms, they will contain 150+ tokens each.  Stay tuned.   

Edited 1534103364
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
WW1 TOMMIES TOKEN PACK CHANGE NOTES All tokens has been rescaled to fit in GURPS hexes. Added crouched posture tokens.  Proportions on all tokens has been tweaked significantly.  Added some dirt on shoes and greatcoats.  Webbing and hedgear have been redrawn from scratch.  Scottish soldiers received new tartan textures.  There are now token versions with or without backpack. Added lewis #2 gunner.  Minor fixes regarding proportions. Tokens should be much more polished right now.  Changes will occure as soon as roll20 staff will replace old pack with new one. It usually take a week or less. Changes will apply in your library if you already have this pack - there is no need to repurchase anything.  WIP: Some slight fixes on gallipoli pack. Patch for doughboys pack. Eastern front WW2 remaster.  Stay tuned!

Edited 1532947746
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
I have a small request to anyone who using my stuff - can you please post some screenshots of your games with my tokens? Im just very curious about how they actually look in someone's game. And yeah, i would like to say thanks to all of you for your support, guys. Sales on my packs are preety significant and very motivating. I will continue to create stuff for you guys as best as i could.
Mike W.
Pro
Sheet Author
I will be happy to do so once the new WWII Eastern Front soldiers are available.

Edited 1533336597
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
Another WIP update. Its WW2 this time - i got a second speedpaint video to showoff.  It might be loud at start so be ready. 

Edited 1534108487
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
WW1 HISTORICAL TOKEN PACK: US MARINES CHANGE NOTES Previously named "Doughboys", now this pack will focus on US marines faction in their distinctive green uniforms. New banner.  Almost everything was redrawn from scratch. Added crouched postures, updated standing postures.  Webbing, hedgear and other equipment updated - they are much more accurate and polished now. Versions with or without backpack added.  Propotions are tweaked significantly to be more plausible.  Changes will occure as soon as Roll20 staff will replace the old pack. If you already have Doughboys pack you will see changes in your library without the need of repurchasing anything. I will continue to support my old stuff so that it keep up with my skills.  WIP: Some slight fixes on gallipoli pack. Eastern front WW2 remaster.  FEEDBACK IS HIGLY APPRECIATED
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Oorah! Nice work.  Thanks Grantovich.

Edited 1534515731
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
BEFORE:                                                                                  AFTER: Im continue to work with my ww2 assets which seems to be highly outdated by my standards. Everything is still subject to change, though, but you can get a general feel about how new remastered ww2 tokens will look like.  Gallipoli pack will receive some fixes regarding proportions, these changes are already submitted. This means that im done with WW1 tokens at least for now and its time for me to focus on WW2 packs. Besides you can decide what should i do next. The options are: 1. Cold war era. Soviet motorized infantry, vietnam war era american soldiers.  2. Continue to remaster WW2 assets and add new ones (civilians, british army, Afrika corps, pacific theatre, minor factions of ww2) 3. Do modern militaries (US marines, russian soldiers, some NATO nations.  4. Ancient times (Spartans, roman legionaries, other antiquity powers), medieval era, gunpowder age, napoleonic wars. Any thoughts? 
David
Sheet Author
17th century musketeer period
Grantovich
Marketplace Creator
David said: 17th century musketeer period Of which country?  I have a thirty years war token pack in my future plans. 
David
Sheet Author
Grantovich said: Of which country?  I have a thirty years war token pack in my future plans.  Sound's like a winner if there are civilians too.