Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Showing off homemade tokens and whatnot.

Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Hey guys, Which forum is appropriate if I want to just show off pictures of tokens / scenes I've created in my games?
On-topic forum should be fine.

Edited 1392403309
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Fire Beetle with glow effect! Now those kobolds have someone to play with!
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Since last night I made these! Stormclaw Scorpion and Stirge.
I like the stirge pic ! I want one!
Lee Pruitt
Marketplace Creator
Thanks man that's awesome! I'm actually in the process of plopping them onto the marketplace, so you can! I have stirge, beetle, scorpion, dire rat, rat swarm, kobold slinger, minion, slyblade, wyrmpriest, dragonshield, piker, and a bunch of skeletons with various weapons. Stay tuned.
I would like to share how I make special tokens, I learned this from another roll20 member so I can't take credit for the idea, and I am using creative commons art found at <a href="http://www.prismaticart.com/" rel="nofollow">http://www.prismaticart.com/</a> and photos family took for backgrounds so I honestly didn't create anything just put thigs and ideas from other people together to do this. I think these look amazing and are very easy to do, I had little experience with any type of paint program and now I can make these rather quickly. You need a program like paint.net you can get it here as a free download. <a href="http://www.getpaint.net/" rel="nofollow">http://www.getpaint.net/</a> You need a round hollow image, or frame for the token. There are plenty to be found with a google search Xena the warrior princesses weapon, magic life counters, empty shields for heraldry lots of things can be a frame for your token. Here is one of the ones I used above. Open that image with your paint program, hit F7 and you will bring up the layers window, one of the options is to duplicate layer, do this. Then add two blank layers using the options at the bottom of that window, now you should have 4 layers you move them around up and down so that one of the rings is the first layer = label it top ring, second layer is empty = label it character, third is a ring image = label it bottom ring, the fourth layer is empty = label it background. Now find an image you want to use for your character, the next step is so much easier if the background is white or one solid color. There is a magic wand tool on the left side of the paint program, use it and select the background you might have to adjust a tolerance bar just above the image in the top toolbar. You want to select as much of the background as you can without selecting any of the character, then hit delete and the background will vanish. Now use the eraser tool to clean up any part of the background you didn't remove. Use the select tool to select the whole image of the character and hit ctrl+c to copy it, now go to your token page make sure you are on the character layer and paste the character image, choose to keep the canvas size. Adjust the character image size to fit how you want. Deselect the check box on the top ring layer so you can see what parts of the image you want to pop out of the ring. Now go to the top ring layer and use the eraser tool to erase the parts of that ring that bring those pop out character parts out. Choose a background image, use the select circle tool to make a circle and copy paste to the background layer, adjust everything to fit and look right. Save the file as a png file, it will ask if you want to flatten and choose yes, your token is done I don't use this trick for monster tokens unless they are bosses but this does make great character tokens.