Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rolling from Handout

Apparently with the new text editor, inserting a link auto appends http://  to the link and using  !
 no longer works to direct to the chat box for things such as rolling on a able ie  !
[[Roll-Table1]]  Is there a new method for doing this or are we now borked?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That was always a hack, but it probably indicates that API Command Buttons in handouts aren't going to work, which would be breaking an actual feature rather than an emergent one.  Fixing the one should fix the other.
Sounds good.  Would be nice if we could just have a proper way to ref other things in roll20 via handouts besides handouts and have a natural way to link something to chat. maybe someday :)
Hi Joshua, I have gone ahead and submitted a ticket to the devs regarding this topic. Sorry for the trouble in the meantime!
Hi Drespar.  I wanted to post about this issue, seems I wont have to do that now! :)  Thank you for submitting a ticket to the devs.

Edited 1535488302
This was just posted as fixed on the release notes post for the 28th , though on the Dev server I'm still getting this. On live servers I do not get the error message, though it still doesn't do the rolls as it used to.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I just confirmed that this works great on production, but that patch is not deployed on Dev currently.
The Aaron said: I just confirmed that this works great on production, but that patch is not deployed on Dev currently. You're saying you were able to get the dice rolls in chat from this?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
In production, yes.  On dev, no.

Edited 1535553391
I cannot get this to work on production. Create a Handout In the Description & Notes text field add the text Roll 1d100 Highlight Text and Press CTRL+K Replace the link text with !
[[1d100]] Press Insert Link Save the Handout Try clicking the link Nothing happens
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Are you inserting the links via the link button on the toolbar?

Edited 1535556873
I have tried both using the button & pressing CTRL+K. I went to another computer, cleared Chrome's cache, same thing. I mean, it may have been a while, I should be doing these with !
 correct? Also created a new game and tried this.

Edited 1535557366
I'm doing something wrong, because my old handouts work correctly. It's just new entries I create.
Here's what appears to be happening. When I go back and try to edit the links after the fact, the special character 
 is not being replaced with the carriage return. I'm guessing this is what is causing the issue. When I look at my old Handouts that do work now, they read ![[1d100]], although I know they had the special character in there.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Ah. That's the issue.  You don't need that anymore. `[[1d100]] The !
 stuff was a hack we developed in the community to trick API Command Buttons to do other things.  With the advent of the ` being pushed through, we don't need it anymore. You just put links in like this: `!test `Some Stuff for chat, maybe a [[1d20]] `#some-macro

Edited 1535558540
Wow, that makes life a lot easier. Couple of clarifications then, because this is great. Do we still need to use ! for api calls? Do we still need to use HTML characters for nested Queries in macros?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
From my testing and understanding, anything after the ` is treated exactly like if you typed it into the chat area.  So, if you have to do HTML Entity Substitutions there, you'd need to do them here.  It's possible there might be some combination of symbols that could end up breaking the link tag when used in this, but I have yet to find them.  In theory, they should be getting encoded when you insert the link (that's how I'd do it!), so probably you'll be ok with whatever. So, to be explicit: Do we still need to use ! for api calls? Yes, because you'd use them in chat.  The ! tells the command parser that this is an API command. Do we still need to use HTML characters for nested Queries in macros? Very likely yes, because you'd do this in chat.  The HTML Entities are a hack to get nested Roll Queries to work, not directly related to getting things into API Command Buttons originally.
New question. Now all special characters are being replaced by their HTML special codes, including colons. Is there some way to include them in macro buttons? Here's an example I create a link with the value as follows using the 5e OGL Character Sheet. `&{template:npcaction} {{rname=Test}} {{name=test}} {{description=This is a test}} the colon gets replaced with : as soon as I save it. So like the exact opposite thing that used to happen where it would change html into their characters it's changing the characters into html code. The resulting output looks like this