Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Roll Templates and /roll

Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Is there an easy way to have values displayed like they are for the /roll command inside a Roll Template? The system I am looking to playtest has a bunch of times where two sides need to compare the lists of dice they get to see who has the best ones. e.g. A rolls 3d10 getting 2, 5, 7 and B rolls 2d10 getting 4, 8. So by comparing Bs 8 beats As 7, As 5 beats Bs 4. Ignore As 2. I'm not looking for a super automated version of this. Or is 3D dice the best way? I dunno...?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Probably API script, 3d Dice, or just listing them out individually like: [[1d10]][[1d10]][[1d10]]
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
The Aaron said: Probably API script, 3d Dice, or just listing them out individually like: [[1d10]][[1d10]][[1d10]] Yeah but the problem is that you could be rolling 5 dice one time, and 2 dice the next. And a Roll Template probably can't handle it without a lot more CSS/HTML mojo than I have. Basically I was hoping to get the same visual output into a Roll Template that you get from the /roll command but it seems like Roll Templates only handle inline rolls.
if you need to have a variable number of dice, use some submacros.  Basically, write a macro that is a query of how many dice you wanna roll, and have each choice output be a roll of that many dice - EG ?{queryname|1,[[1d10]] |2,[[1d10]][[1d10]] |3,[[1d10]][[1d10]][[1d10]] | . . . . . And then in any macro where you'd wanna call once of these dice rolls, you call that macro. 
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
Yeah, that could be something of a PitA for this setup but it might be the only way.

Edited 1531061968
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
If you're writing the Roll Template, you should be able to supply a number of dice and have that determine the number of dice results revealed.  Kind of like how some templates reveal more critical damage.
Andrew C
Marketplace Creator
The Aaron said: If you're writing the Roll Template, you should be able to supply a number of dice and have that determine the number of dice results revealed.  Kind of like how some templates reveal more critical damage. If I get around to that point in life, I will definitely have to hassle you maybe with cash in my other hand, to get it done. :P
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
=D