Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Which is played more?

Greetings all, I just stumbled across this site  after trying to find a way to try out tabletop gaming online, since absolutely noone in my group of friends likes fantasy RPG type stuff.  I know, shocking right?  Anyways I've always been a fan and I've watched a bunch of sessions but never played so I was wondering:  Do more people play Pathfinder or DnD 4e here on roll 20?  Reason I ask is that I would like to start playing with this great community but I would like to devote myself to learning one systems rules and background lore before moving on to the next.  I'm familiar with rules for both but I find that Pathfinder is more flexible lore-wise so I wouldn't have to read the Diary of Drizzt just to keep up lol. Suggestions welcome.
As far as I can tell people are playing both rather regularly on roll20, so I suggest just go with what you like better. When you get into roleplaying the system is for how you think and interact with the world you're in, so if you don't like the system much, it's harder to have fun, and I know as I have been in a group that regularly likes to experiment with different systems. Some are very cool and interesting, but not really my style so it was hard to get into the game as much, although combining a good system with bad storytelling amounts to the same thing. 4e rules IMO have a very combat oriented system where every character is required to take a series of special abilities that are effective in combat and can optionally take abilities that are effective out of combat - and pretty much anyone is able to take the Ritual skill to do ritual spells as long as you have the material costs. Pathfinder has various classes and options - many of which allow one class to touch at another class without the need to multi-class - although some things still require multi-classing. There are many ways to build a character and building a character to be good at skills and roleplaying, and weak at fighting is possible. Don't get blinded by world settings. Pathfinder may have a very in depth world setting created by Paizo, but it's not like everyone uses it, or if they do, are experts on it. Many people much prefer to make homebrew campaigns so focus on a system of RULES and not stories when choosing what you want to play. Seriously, you could adapt Pathfinders world setting into 4e if you really wanted to. Or take it back to AD&D or Classic. Stories can be changed to adapt to systems, but it's harder to adapt a system to a story.
Thanks for the reply Tanice.  You've opened my eyes to some things and for that I thank you.  I don't know why, but until you mentioned it, it never occured to me that DnD4e is a more combat oriented system when compared to Pathfinder.  I think I'll try a beginners game in both and see how comfortable it is for me and go from there.  Especially since story is not too big of an issue. Thanks again!
Based on the responses  in this thread  from active GMs, Pathfinder and 4E have a roughly equivalent number of campaigns ongoing and are the two top dogs as far as game systems on Roll20.  Both have an active player base here - good luck!
Hey if you wana play or need a player for a campaign im up for it tue-fri EST