Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

D&D5e Custom Character Sheet help

Hi there. So, this is a really heartfelt request to anyone that can help. Basically, I need a custom character sheet for a sci-fi game I'm making based off 5e rules. So, all I really need for the character sheet is a few skills removed and new ones added in. That's honestly it! I have the html code for the standard character sheet, but I have no idea what I'm really looking at. So, is there anyone who would be willing to lend a guy a hand and just point me to what I need to do or give me a bit of insight into what to do? AJ
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
What's an example of skill you need to remove and one to add?  What you're looking to do should be pretty basic and simple enough for you to do, so once we have that, we can give you a few pointers on how to modify the sheet.
So, for example, remove Arcana and add Pilot (Dex). That's just one example, but there are a few different ones.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
As long as you are only swapping the name (and are installing the sheet manually), you can likely just edit the translation file so that SkillA is "translated to "SkillB"
Assume you're talking to a complete idiot here. How would I do that? Also, while that would work for some, there are additional skills I need to add.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
Are you adding more skills than you're deleting?  If so, things just got complicated really fast...LOL I looked at the code for the 5e OGL sheet and...wow...just...wow. Doesn't mean it has to be difficult, but it could be depending
Yeah, see that's what I thought. The only skills removed are Arcana and Nature, but there are 8 skills needing added in. So, 2 could easily be replaced. It's the other 6. And tell me about it! I took one look at it, sent it to a mate who does HTML and we both took a look and just went "oh damn", lol. If you can help though, I would be so eternally grateful, lol.

Edited 1532102732
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
AJ C. said: Assume you're talking to a complete idiot here. How would I do that? Also, while that would work for some, there are additional skills I need to add. Sorry, you said you had the html of the sheet, so I assumed you were farther along in the process. No worries. I assume you have gone here for the HTML? And since you plan to create your own instance of the sheet in your game, you should make sure you have created a campaign and chosen "custom sheet". This will give you three areas to paste code. 1) HTML. This is the guts of the sheet, containing all the fields. 2) CSS. This is the styling of the sheet, how to show boxes, use color, fonts, button styles, etc. 3) Translation json. This file contains all of the display words on a properly built sheet. Behind the scenes, Strength may be referred to as STRENGTH, but the translation file says to display "Strength" on the sheet for English speakers. There are often multiple json files for different languages. for the French sheet, it might translate STRENGTH into "Forte" for instance. (I haven't studied French since high school, back in the Second Age of Middle Earth). So depending on what you want to do, the simplest solution might be to edit your translation file on your personal game to change "Stealth" to "Sneaking" or whatever custom skill you want to use. It won't change the underlying logic (It's still dex-based, for instance), but if your changes consist of swapping out names only, not adding or deleting skills, it should be pretty simple (disclaimer: I have not actually tried this). If you are a relative newbie to html/css, I would advise against tinkering with the html for the time being. NOTE: The translation file only changes the display name. In the case of the French sheet, a macro formula would still refer to @{name|strength} rather than @{nom|forte}. Changes are cosmetic only. CAUTION: Whatever you wind up doing, you are now using your own version of the sheet . You will not receive automatic upgrades, and support may be limited. You will need to watch for new releases when they come out and upgrade manually by pasting the new code into your game settings page. I would stongly suggest experimenting on a copy of your campaign, or even a fresh campaign until you have got it working to your satisfaction.