Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Using [ChatSetAttr] to toggle the Bard Inspiration die of any targeted token in the [5e Shaped] sheet?

Edited 1532080334
So what I want to be able to do is use tokenmod to toggle a statusmarker on the token, and chatsetattr to toggle the targetted character's Bard Inspiration on in their character sheet.  This, by just clicking on the Bard's class feature (thereby decrementing the uses). Ideas?  Codes?  Advice? I know this part would be the tokenmod part of it: !token-mod --set statusmarkers|all-for-one But I don't know the CSA part, nor where or how to impliment, though I suspect just entering the api commands in the freeform field of the "Bardic Inspiration" Class Trait.  I could be wrong though, its happened many times before.  lol
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You want to be able to do this for any bard on the table? i.e. select "any targeted token" and toggle their bardic inspiration die? A couple of questions: 1) This would only be worth doing if a LOT of characters are bards. Otherwise, it's much simpler to build a token macro for each bard, customized to their sheet's attribute ID. 2) Attributes can be referred to by a specific (unique to each character/ability) ID, or by position on the repeating field. If your intent is to create a single macro for all characters, you will have to make sure that bardic inspiration occupies the same place in the order of class features. Neither of these solutions is ideal. A MUCH simpler solution that a lot of people use is to reserve one of the token bars/bubbles for tracking uses. One bubble for AC, one for HP, and the third for bardic inspiration/superiority dice/rages, etc. Then it becomes a simple mater of selecting the token, clicking on the bubble and entering "-1" to decrement the value. It works for any class with a consumable resource. If neither of these solutions sounds appealing, perhaps describing a little bit more what you want to accomplish can lead to better suggestions.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
keithcurtis said: A MUCH simpler solution that a lot of people use is to reserve one of the token bars/bubbles for tracking uses. One bubble for AC, one for HP, and the third for bardic inspiration/superiority dice/rages, etc. Then it becomes a simple mater of selecting the token, clicking on the bubble and entering "-1" to decrement the value. It works for any class with a consumable resource. This is the method I employ, which means you can make the adjustment with TokenMod: !token-mod --set bar2_value|-1

Edited 1532121432
keithcurtis said: You want to be able to do this for any bard on the table? i.e. select "any targeted token" and toggle their bardic inspiration die? A couple of questions: 1) This would only be worth doing if a LOT of characters are bards. Otherwise, it's much simpler to build a token macro for each bard, customized to their sheet's attribute ID. 2) Attributes can be referred to by a specific (unique to each character/ability) ID, or by position on the repeating field. If your intent is to create a single macro for all characters, you will have to make sure that bardic inspiration occupies the same place in the order of class features. Neither of these solutions is ideal. A MUCH simpler solution that a lot of people use is to reserve one of the token bars/bubbles for tracking uses. One bubble for AC, one for HP, and the third for bardic inspiration/superiority dice/rages, etc. Then it becomes a simple mater of selecting the token, clicking on the bubble and entering "-1" to decrement the value. It works for any class with a consumable resource. If neither of these solutions sounds appealing, perhaps describing a little bit more what you want to accomplish can lead to better suggestions. I think I misstated or it was misunderstood.  I want a non-global macro, ability, freeform macro, or whatever the terminology is; to fire from a single bard in the campaign.  When he hits his Bardic Inspiration class feature, I want it to ask for a target token.  When the target is selected, change the status marker to one-for-all (which I can do with token mod already), and also put that fancy D&D " & " symbol in the Bardic Inspiration area on the target's character sheet to be a second reminder of their inspiration die.  I just don't know what to do to toggle that field, and to use CSA (since its a sheet thing) to do it. I use speed in the 3rd field, so changing that at this point seems a little out of reach.  Since all characters have a movement speed, and not all characters will have rages, inspiration, etc., it seemed more universal, and is read from the NPC's the same way.  Basically, being set to 1) HP, 2) AC, 3) Speed.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Are you conflating Inspiration (the ability to get advantage on a single roll) and Bardic Inspiration (the ability to add a Bardic Inspiration die to a single roll, size based on Bard's level) ?
The Aaron said: keithcurtis said: A MUCH simpler solution that a lot of people use is to reserve one of the token bars/bubbles for tracking uses. One bubble for AC, one for HP, and the third for bardic inspiration/superiority dice/rages, etc. Then it becomes a simple mater of selecting the token, clicking on the bubble and entering "-1" to decrement the value. It works for any class with a consumable resource. This is the method I employ, which means you can make the adjustment with TokenMod: !token-mod --set bar2_value|-1 Yup.  Appreciate that Aaron, but as I said, I'm trying to adjust the target's character sheet toggle for this one.  I'm sure its simple, It's not one of the arrays, so should just be a matter of hitting their ID and toggling that particular static field.
The Aaron said: Are you conflating Inspiration (the ability to get advantage on a single roll) and Bardic Inspiration (the ability to add a Bardic Inspiration die to a single roll, size based on Bard's level) ? Hmmmmm .... maybe.  Possibly.  Probably.  Kinda busy running errands atm, so can't look at sheets to be sure.  Is that what that field is for?  if so, I can just be comfortable with status marking.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
=D That's it's intended purpose, but you could definitely use it for something else.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Yeah, Bardic Inspiration just gives you a free die roll to add onto a roll of your choice (within constraints). It's probably far easier to put the marker on there as a reminder to the player that they have a die they can use for some future roll.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
BTW, if you use: !token-mod --set statusmarkers|all-for-one --ids @{selected|character_id} It will set the marker on every token that represents that character.  =D  Depending on how you do things, that could be handy.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah. Good thinking. I have been running into the problem of setting a status marker on a token on one map, and forgetting to carry it over to the other.
I've been employing the method of Copying and Pasting tokens to the next map as we go (usually right before), at least in the previous incarnation of this campaign.  I never know who will be available, it seems, to play on any given weekend, but with this one I am desperately trying to change that by relying less on the fb communities for D&D, and more on Roll20's.  Roll20 peeps seem eager to play, fb peeps are sometimes like trying to herd cats.
So, to get this straight, the Inspiration on the CS is based on DM handout, not a bard's?  I might have to go spend time with My DMG, they kinda made that a bit confusing by not using a different word, other than the prefacing word of "Bardic".
Still, it'd be nice to toggle that by the DM handing it out as well (through CSA).  I could be really sneaky, selecting the PCs who played up their alignment, personality traits, and backstory well enough to grant DM inspiration.  Never did that b4, and haven't seen my DM on Friday's do it either - at all - ever.
The Aaron said: BTW, if you use: !token-mod --set statusmarkers|all-for-one --ids @{selected|character_id} It will set the marker on every token that represents that character.  =D  Depending on how you do things, that could be handy. I'd probably also put the number on that, so that an all-for-one with a 6 on it means roll a d6, as we know at 5th Bard and other levels, that die increases.  So: !token-mod --set statusmarkers|all-for-one|=6 --ids @{selected|character_id}