Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Macro Order for Token Actions

I've been creating Token Actions on Character Sheets. I've also disabled the Sort Alphabetically option from the Game Options for Macros. Sometimes, the macros appear in the order they were created on the sheet, and in other cases they appear to be completely random. Am I doing something wrong? In this image, the red numbered items correlate with the abilities I've added to this character sheet, while the blue numbers are macros in my campaign. There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
With sort alphabetical disabled, the order will seem somewhat random.  I suspect it is sorted by the id of the macro/ability, which would be based on the creation date/time.

Edited 1532377184
That order in the sheet is the order I created them, so I'm guessing the ID is like character ID's and appear as a hash. Those items typically look like LI6ma1o0X-7lkgFrgDE Here's another example of where TokenAction was used to create them and the order is all off.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Basically, "all bets are off" if you have Macros and Abilities in the list.
This seems like a bug to me. Completely Random vs. Alphabetical would surprise me if that was the intention.
I looked in the wiki for My Settings . It states: By default this setting is enabled. Leaving this box checked will sort Token Actions alphabetically, giving you finer control over the ordering of your token actions. Uncheck this box to retain the "old" behavior where the Token Actions are not sorted alphabetically. I am assuming the "old" behavior is random then? It strikes me that they would create an option for ordered on some level, and then no reasoning on the other. I'm surprised they didn't just set it to alphabetical as standard and remove the option is the off setting doesn't mean much.

Edited 1532462632
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
The 'old' method works fine 99% of the time, when your only token actions are those sourced from the Abilities tab of the sheet linked to the token.  Once you mingle in macros from the Macro Collection, all bets are off and at that point you need the Sort Alphabetically function along with 'creative' spellings to keep things ordered the way you wish them to be.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I number my universal token macros, starting with "1nitiative". :)
I didn't want to have numbers on the names. I just wanted them to be listed in the order they appeared on the character sheet. I suppose that was a tall ask.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm afraid the only option at this point is the Suggestion Forum, since that is the behavior of token macros: (apparently) random or alphabetical. Macro Bar Macros can be dragged around into arbitrary order, if that helps at all.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
You can have what you want, as long as you only have token actions from the attributes section of the character sheet .  It is the mixing in of macros from the macro collection that causes this issue. If you wish to have token actions from both sources and have them do what you want... that will require a suggestion.  For your suggestions, we offer the Suggestions & Ideas forum, which is based on voting from the whole community.  Please review our Forum Voting wiki page for more information on how voting works, and our Posting to Suggestions & Ideas section of the Code of Conduct . As this is a suggestion thread outside the designated forum, this thread will be closed.