Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Sheet improvement help] Independent checkboxes arent so independent

Edited 1532656319
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Background: I've been working on introducing tabs and a few other options to the Star Wars D6 sheet, but somehow a few classes or features have become interconnected without me having any idea how it's possible. I'm not that great at these things yet, and  Earlier I introduced a Setting Menu (pulled from Gumshoe Official ) with a few checkboxes to hide some sections of the sheet, and one checkbox to toggle between PC/NPC version of the sheet, and the current version works fine, with all chatboxes and the resulting hiding of sections or switches between PC/NPC working fine. Problem: Then I introduced tabs(pulled from  Shadowrun 5th ) and a new checkbox that regulates "wild die" rolls(through a sheetworker). Now, in some way the previously independent checkboxes didn't work independent anymore, as when the "wild die" checkbox is unchecked, for some reason the sheet shows both PC&NPC sections even if I've seen no connection between them. Here is snippets from what I think are central to the problem: CSS: input.sheet-wilddie:checked ~ input.sheet-selector-switch:checked ~ .sheet-master-container .sheet-wild-hide, input.sheet-npc:checked ~ input.sheet-selector-switch:checked ~ .sheet-master-container .sheet-npc-hide , input.sheet-selector-switch:checked ~ .sheet-master-container .sheet-pc-hide, input.sheet-gmroll:checked ~ input.sheet-selector-switch:checked ~ .sheet-master-container .sheet-gmroll-hide { display: none; } input.sheet-selector-switch:checked ~ .sheet-master-container div.sheet-npc-hide{ display: inline-block; } input.sheet-npc:checked ~ input.sheet-selector-switch:checked ~ .sheet-master-container .sheet-pc-hide { display: inherit; } HTML: <input class="sheet-selector-switch sheet-npc" name="attr_npcswitch" type="checkbox" value="1"> <input class="sheet-selector-switch sheet-wilddie" name="attr_wildswitch" type="checkbox" value="1"> <div class="sheet-input-row sheet-top-row sheet-bold"> <span title="Shows a more dense statblock for NPCs. Equipment sections uses the first field from the PC version">Use NPC sheet</span> <input name="attr_npcswitch" type="checkbox" value="1"> </div> ... <div class="sheet-input-row sheet-top-row sheet-bold"> <span>Use 1E rules?</span> <input name="attr_wildswitch" type="checkbox" value="1"> </div> <div class="content6 sheet-section sheet-equipment-hide"><!------------Equipment --------------> <div class="sheet-npc-hide"> <!-- Equipment PC--> <label style="text-align: center;">Equipment</label> <table style="width:97%"> <tr> <td style="text-align: right;"> <textarea name="attr_geartext1"></textarea> <textarea name="attr_geartext2"></textarea> </td> <td style="text-align: center;"> <textarea name="attr_geartext3"></textarea> <textarea name="attr_geartext4"></textarea> </td> <td style="text-align: Left;"> <textarea name="attr_geartext5"></textarea> <textarea name="attr_geartext6"></textarea> </td> </tr> </table> </div> <div class="sheet-pc-hide"><!-- Equipment NPC--> <label style="text-align: center">Equipment</label> <textarea style="height:7em;width:96%" name="attr_geartext1"></textarea> </div> </div> Whole problem code Test Campaign to witness the problem I'm aware that  input.sheet-npc:checked ~ input.sheet-selector-switch:checked ~ .sheet-master-container .sheet-pc-hide { display: inherit; } might lead to some problem as property inheritance can be a tricky thing, but changing it to something else or removing only made the situation wrong. Any pointers or suggestions what I should look for is welcome. In worst case I'll remove the (fairly minor) NPC variation from the sheet and try to add it in again later in some other way, hopefully not ending up in a similar situation.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Anyone got any suggestions?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Bump for visibility. Any pointers whatsoever would be helpful. 
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Okay, I cannot seem to find the wild die setting to actually replicate this, but I have some remarks and a suggestion: You should not have to use display inheritance or setting display to inline-block or anything like that to make tabs or hiding elements based on a global setting work. A single set of rules setting display: none; using :checked or :not(:checked) should do the trick (or [value="xxx"] if you're using a hidden input); if it doesn't, there's probably something to simplify there. I noticed that your wild die checkbox has the sheet-selector-switch class. It shouldn't have that, since .sheet-selector-switch somehow controls the display of the .sheet-pc-hide class. If you're using .sheet-selector switch to style the checkboxes, make a third class that regulates the styling, but don't mix style and functionality here.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Thanks Jacob for the reply! I'm sorry I didn't make the Wild Die a clear, as it isn't mentioned as such in the Character sheet settings menu, this line governs the wild die (1E doesn't use wild die,so I didn't even think of stating it more clearly). The sheet I pulled the settings from didnt use the :not   pseudoelement, so I wasn't aware of it's existence at first, but recall now that I stumbled upon it sometime later but did something wrong so I ended up staying with what (at that time) worked. I don't exactly understand how the .sheet-selector-switch, but it's used when hiding sections, pc-hide  is one, the options menu  is another, so it seems more like a secondary condition for those hide-options. In the original Gumshoe Sheet selector-switch was used 59 times  in the css, and HTML ( mine ) vs. ( original) . I'll rewrite things to use   :not   and see how things turn out, and I'll take a second look at the selector-switch and see if I get any new understanding from it. If I can't wrap my head around it, I'm tempted to ask  Nathanael W .(author of the Gumshoe code) directly about  selector-switch.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Update:  It works, thanks Jacob! It seems removing the inheritance piece, and using the  :not(:checked) for .sheet-pc-hide  fixed the issue, now the sheet tabs and wilddie works  separately again. I also removed the selector-switch without problem from the same section, but it still seems to serve a purpose in other places so I'll have to investigate it further. 
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Cool, glad I could help!