Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

The common situation of Stealth

When a token is "hidden" via invisibility or stealth is there a way to make that token not appear to players on the map? If so, I don't see one. I want the token to BE THERE to show me where it is, but the players should not see it. How is that accomplished?

Edited 1392843851
Maybe i get you wrong... but you should but it on the GM Layer if you are the GM. Your players won't see the token. If you want to show it to your players, move it onto the token layer. Voila. Right click on the token ==> Layer ==> choose the correct layer. That should solve your problem... and thrill your players. :D
Ah ty - that was what i was after
Lithl
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
That said, there's no real way to have something invisible to some players but not others, unfortunately.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
A work around ( and it adds to the GM workload) is to have a mirrored map page. You can move the specific players to that page and let them see what they need to. The downside is that what ever happens on the original page, the gm has to mirror it on the copy and anything the specific player can see has to be whispered to them. They can respond back in whisper about it also.

Edited 1392913244
Couldn't you just move the other players to another page, then reveal the item from the GM layer to the player in question, do what has to be done, then return the item to the GM layer and bring back the other players?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
yes that is the other way. For some reason I was thinking of say a character casts see invisible or something of that nature that the game continues play while he or she can see additional things because of the magic.
Wow! It would seem a whole lot simpler just to add a hidden indicator on the token itself. Admittedly you'd need a 'seen-list' per token, which could be a bit resource heavy. Alternative: Stealth threshhold on each token along with perception value. If perception value > stealth threshhold of any other token you can see that token.
The possibility to have something invisible to some players only will be much appreciated. It would be cool to have an hidden layer, where every token is invisible to everyone except GM and controllers. Of course, every 'visible' token in the hidden layer should be shown as blurred or transparent, but in a way that the DM could easily distinguish between hidden and gmmed.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
series0 said: Alternative: Stealth threshhold on each token along with perception value. If perception value > stealth threshhold of any other token you can see that token. THAT would be wonderful. x.x +1