Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[CSS Help] Show span based on attributes value

Edited 1535133419
Sad
Sheet Author
API Scripter
HTML &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="checkbox" class="condition-display" name="attr_condition_1" value="1"&gt; &lt;span class="sheet-body" &gt;condition_1.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="number" name="attr_condition_7" class="condition-display" value="0" /&gt; &lt;span class="sheet-body"&gt;condition_7.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; ........................ &lt;input class="labelcheck" type="checkbox" name="attr_condition_1" value="1" /&gt; &lt;span class="lbl"&gt;condition_1&lt;/span&gt; &lt;br/&gt; &lt;input type="number" name="attr_condition_7" class="nospin underlined spsml" value="0" /&gt; &lt;input type="hidden" name="attr_condition_7" value="0" /&gt; &lt;span class="lbl"&gt;condition_7.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;br/&gt; CSS: input.sheet-condition-display:not([value="0"]) ~ span.sheet-body { float: left; } input.sheet-condition-display[value="0"] ~ span.sheet-body { display: none; } input.sheet-condition-display { display: none; } I try the&nbsp;CSS Wizardry and it is work.when&nbsp; the checkbox is&nbsp;checked,it can show the span. <a href="http://jsfiddle.net/LTnd7/" rel="nofollow">http://jsfiddle.net/LTnd7/</a> Is it prossble show span&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp; when&nbsp; attr_condition_1&nbsp; attr_condition_7&nbsp; is not value=0?

Edited 1535144476
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
In order to do display based on the value of an input, you need to make a duplicate of the input that is: type='hidden' hidden type inputs update their value in the DOM when it changes, unlike other input types which only display their default value (or their checked value in the case of radios and checkboxes) in the DOM regardless of what their actual value is. Your code would then look like this: HTML &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="checkbox" name="attr_condition_1" value="1"&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;input type='hidden' class='condition-display' name='attr_condition_1" value='1'&gt; &lt;span class="sheet-body" &gt;condition_1.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="number" name="attr_condition_7" value="0" /&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;input type='hidden' name='attr_conditiion_7' class='condition-display' value='0'&gt; &lt;span class="sheet-body"&gt;condition_7.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; ........................ &lt;input class="labelcheck" type="checkbox" name="attr_condition_1" value="1" /&gt; &lt;span class="lbl"&gt;condition_1&lt;/span&gt; &lt;br/&gt; &lt;input type="number" name="attr_condition_7" class="nospin underlined spsml" value="0" /&gt; &lt;input type="hidden" name="attr_condition_7" value="0" /&gt; &lt;span class="lbl"&gt;condition_7.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;br/&gt; CSS: input.sheet-condition-display:not([value="0"]) ~ span.sheet-body {/*This should now work since the hidden's value will actually update. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;However, I've noticed that the value= syntax can be finicky sometimes, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;you may need to switch to [value*="0"] instead which does a search of &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;the value for the indicated substring*/ float: left; } input.sheet-condition-display [value="0"] ~ span.sheet-body {/*remove the value reference here, the :not([value="0"]) will make the above more &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;specific than this and will therefore overwrite it anyway.*/ display: none; } input.sheet-condition-display {/*You can probably remove this, and just remove the non-hidden type inputs. I left them in minus their class as &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I wasn't sure what you needed*/ display: none; } Hope that helps, Scott
Sad
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I Scott C. said: In order to do display based on the value of an input, you need to make a duplicate of the input that is: type='hidden' hidden type inputs update their value in the DOM when it changes, unlike other input types which only display their default value (or their checked value in the case of radios and checkboxes) in the DOM regardless of what their actual value is. Your code would then look like this: HTML &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="checkbox" name="attr_condition_1" value="1"&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;input type='hidden' class='condition-display' name='attr_condition_1" value='1'&gt; &lt;span class="sheet-body" &gt;condition_1.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="number" name="attr_condition_7" value="0" /&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&lt;input type='hidden' name='attr_conditiion_7' class='condition-display' value='0'&gt; &lt;span class="sheet-body"&gt;condition_7.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; ........................ &lt;input class="labelcheck" type="checkbox" name="attr_condition_1" value="1" /&gt; &lt;span class="lbl"&gt;condition_1&lt;/span&gt; &lt;br/&gt; &lt;input type="number" name="attr_condition_7" class="nospin underlined spsml" value="0" /&gt; &lt;input type="hidden" name="attr_condition_7" value="0" /&gt; &lt;span class="lbl"&gt;condition_7.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;br/&gt; CSS: input.sheet-condition-display:not([value="0"]) ~ span.sheet-body {/*This should now work since the hidden's value will actually update. &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;However, I've noticed that the value= syntax can be finicky sometimes, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;you may need to switch to [value*="0"] instead which does a search of &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;the value for the indicated substring*/ float: left; } input.sheet-condition-display [value="0"] ~ span.sheet-body {/*remove the value reference here, the :not([value="0"]) will make the above more &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;specific than this and will therefore overwrite it anyway.*/ display: none; } input.sheet-condition-display {/*You can probably remove this, and just remove the non-hidden type inputs. I left them in minus their class as &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I wasn't sure what you needed*/ display: none; } Hope that helps, Scott It's work! Thank you very much.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Happy to help
Sad
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Sorry, there is some problem now. &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="hidden" class="sheet-condition-display" name="attr_condition_1" value="1"&gt; &lt;span class="sheet-body" &gt;condition_1.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="hidden" name="attr_conditiion_7" class="sheet-condition-display"value="0"&gt; &lt;span class="sheet-body"&gt;condition_7.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;br/&gt;........................&lt;br/&gt; &lt;input type="checkbox" name="attr_condition_1" value="1" /&gt; &lt;span &gt;condition_1&lt;/span&gt; &lt;br/&gt; &lt;input type="number" name="attr_condition_7" value="0" /&gt; &lt;span &gt;condition_7.&lt;/span&gt; &lt;br/&gt; input.sheet-condition-display:not([value*="0"]) ~ span.sheet-body { float: left; } input.sheet-condition-display ~ span.sheet-body { display: none; } I try above code, but it is not working. The area in&nbsp; span class="sheet-body"&nbsp; &nbsp; just hide. It would not show when i check the value or checked the checkbox. I have&nbsp; try&nbsp;value*="0" and&nbsp;value="0". But it is not working too. input.sheet-condition-display:not([value="0"]) ~ span.sheet-body { float: left; } input.sheet-condition-display[value="0"] ~ span.sheet-body { display: none; } But if i use above code. The area will show when i create a new character.Because&nbsp; value &nbsp;is not not gen yet. Then i checked or change the number. The hide function will work fine. Because it can find the value is 0 or not. So why was the first cant use. I am so&nbsp;confused......

Edited 1535228116
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
There's a typo in your hidden condition_7 box: &lt;input type="hidden" name=" attr_conditiion_7 " class="sheet-condition-display"value="0"&gt; There's an extra i in the name. Also, just a formatting question: I'm wondering why you dont have the hidden copies of the inputs right next to the non-hidden version. Some of those spans and divs look a bit redundant.
Sad
Sheet Author
API Scripter
G G said: There's a typo in your hidden condition_7 box: &lt;input type="hidden" name=" attr_conditiion_7 " class="sheet-condition-display"value="0"&gt; There's an extra i in the name. Also, just a formatting question: I'm wondering why you dont have the hidden copies of the inputs right next to the non-hidden version. Some of those spans and divs look a bit redundant. I try to fix extra&nbsp; i . And not working. Formatting question....Because i am fresh on the character? Back to the css question. &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="checkbox" class="sheet-arrow" value="1"/&gt; &lt;h4&gt;Stuff and Things&lt;/h4&gt; &lt;div class="sheet-body"&gt; &lt;input type="text" placeholder="Name" name="attr_name"/&gt;&lt;br&gt; &lt;input type="text" placeholder="Description" name="attr_description"/&gt; &lt;input type="number" min="0" max="20" value="0" name="attr_level"/&gt;&lt;br&gt; &lt;textarea placeholder="Fulltext" name="attr_bio"&gt;&lt;/textarea&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/div&gt; input.sheet-arrow { float: left; } input.sheet-arrow:checked ~ div.sheet-body { display: none; } It is work, on the Roll20 CSS Wizardry. &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="number" class="sheet-arrow" value="0" /&gt; &lt;h4&gt;Stuff and Things&lt;/h4&gt; &lt;div class="sheet-body"&gt; &lt;input type="text" placeholder="Name" name="attr_name"/&gt;&lt;br&gt; &lt;input type="text" placeholder="Description" name="attr_description"/&gt; &lt;input type="number" min="0" max="20" value="0" name="attr_level"/&gt;&lt;br&gt; &lt;textarea placeholder="Fulltext" name="attr_bio"&gt;&lt;/textarea&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/div&gt; input.sheet-arrow { float: left; } input.sheet-arrow:not([value="0"]) ~ div.sheet-body { display: none; } If i change the checkbox to number, and use&nbsp; not([value="0"]). &nbsp;It is not working. &nbsp;
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
See my original post about inputs not updating their values in the DOM, which is what the CSS checks. If you're going to use [value="#"], you must use a hidden type input.
Sad
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Scott C. said: See my original post about inputs not updating their values in the DOM, which is what the CSS checks. If you're going to use [value="#"], you must use a hidden type input. &lt;div&gt; &lt;input type="number" name="attr_nameABC" value="0" /&gt; &lt;input type="hidden" class="sheet-arrow" name="attr_nameABC"value="0" /&gt; &lt;h4&gt;Stuff and Things&lt;/h4&gt; &lt;div class="sheet-body"&gt; &lt;input type="text" placeholder="Name" name="attr_name"/&gt;&lt;br&gt; &lt;input type="text" placeholder="Description" name="attr_description"/&gt; &lt;input type="number" min="0" max="20" value="0" name="attr_level"/&gt;&lt;br&gt; &lt;textarea placeholder="Fulltext" name="attr_bio"&gt;&lt;/textarea&gt; &lt;/div&gt; &lt;/div&gt; input.sheet-arrow { float: left; } input.sheet-arrow:not([value="0"]) ~ div.sheet-body { display: none; } Not working.....Oh my God.