Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Allow for the grid size to be set in pixels rather than inches.

One inch on one monitor is completely different than one inch on another's monitor. This coupled with the Snap To Grid makes using maps that already have a grid impossible to align, and makes me end up disabling the grid altogether.
Alicia
Sheet Author
I vote for this feature mainly as I have maps converted from use on OpenRPG sized to specific px grid. Would be nice to just import the map and change the grid size to accommodate. Rather off topic but it would be nice too to set distance attributes to meters as well as feet and subsequently change the ratio of each square. In Star Wars Saga Edition for example 1 square = 1.5m and depending on the size of the map this could possible change. It would certainly be nice to have that flexibility.
I'll make a note of this suggestion. @Alicia, The ability to change distances is on the roadmap, and should be implimented down the road. As an aside to this, An inch is an inch, and the only reason it's being displayed differently is zoom levels. One thing that would probably help with sizing maps is the resolution of the map (Not the physical dimensions, like 500x417 pixels) but the DPI. Dots per inch, or pixels per inch (depending on if it's being printed or displayed on the screen) are the deciding factor. In most cases, it'll be somewhere in the 70-75DPI range. However, if the map is scaled for printing, and the squares are truly 1:1" you can get a square count by dividing resolution by DPI For example: in the attached map, if you count the suqares, it's 10 wide and 20 tall Now, if you look at the resolution, it's 720x1440 pixels at 72DPI Run those through your handy calculator, and we know that this map is scaled to be 10 inches wide, and 20 inches tall Currently, a square in Roll20 = 5 feet, and objects are sized in feet, so I know that my 10x20" map needs to be 50x100 feet. Clicky dragy, Bob's your uncle. Map, meet grid. If your map has a border, or padding that is NOT an inch, you can move the object free of the snap-to-grid feature while holding alt. Usually lining up the topmost and leftmost lines of the map will make sure that you're aligned properly, then you can resize away. As a final disclaimer, and an end to this wall of text: If the map was resized, or was never sized to be truly 1:1" then all this won't do you a lick of good. You could load it into an editor like GIMP or Photoshop and resize it yourself though. Hope this helps, and I'll still make a note for the Devs that sizing the grid by pixels would be preferred.
All great advice. However, I never needed to mess with GIMP or photoshop or re-sizing important maps in Maptool, because I simply sized the overlay grid visually in realtime, increasing or decreasing the size of the squares until it matched the image's grid. I used my mouse scroll wheel to do it. It took me seconds and required no calculator. It seems to me that is the easiest feature to use, and one that Roll20 could really use.
It's been a fairly frequently requested feature, and there's a pretty robust discussion going on over here: <a href="http://community.roll20.net/discussion/comment/2950#Comment_2950" rel="nofollow">http://community.roll20.net/discussion/comment/2950#Comment_2950</a> about different solutions. What I'd recommend is to hit up the other thread and give it an upvote. The dev team uses the voting system to help prioritize features & bug requests, since it's a good indication of how many people want/need a specific feature.